SLC Sooner 101 & Ali

Help Support Steer Planet:

pnewendyke

Seen some really god pictures the last couple years in Hartmans catalogs and was impress by the looks of Wisdom (son) when I saw him a year ago.  Just wondered why I cant find a picture of him and if semen is available. Also is Ali semen still available on the market? Seems funny these bulls get real popular they jack the prices and say they aren't producing or give some other excuse, then suddenly the bull starts producing again and they lower then price, but not back to normal...like whiskey  now available for $50 and About time for $25.  Thanks 

gocanes719

Good luck finding ALI, it is in short supply.  I dont know anyone that has gotten any recently.

CAB

Had a guy tell me last Friday evening that he had boughten Ali semen last week. Got on the phone with my ABS rep. this morning to buy, but he said that ABS ran out approximately 10 days ago. You snooze, you lose. Darn!!!

cattlechick

So whats the deal on Ali? Anyone know? Ive seen some distributors with the nice $ASK by his name. I guess Im glad that I was sold on him this spring and stocked up.

Jill

Ali is a nice choice for a calving ease bull, but I don't see that he produces the quality of calves to demand a high dollar price.

DL

Ali has been heavily promoted as both a calving ease bull and a creator of the next great show calf. Although I am sold on his sire as a maker of really fine females I have not seen the pudding in his case (ie the proof is in the pudding). One thing Ali has besides great promotion and use by some prominent breeders and a clean TH/PHA status is that he is likely a curve bender bull - which is a big plus for many. I don't like him enough to use him - and I am really not hot on hype  :eek:

dutch pride

DL said:
Ali has been heavily promoted as both a calving ease bull and a creator of the next great show calf. Although I am sold on his sire as a maker of really fine females I have not seen the pudding in his case (ie the proof is in the pudding). One thing Ali has besides great promotion and use by some prominent breeders and a clean TH/PHA status is that he is likely a curve bender bull - which is a big plus for many. I don't like him enough to use him - and I am really not hot on hype  :eek:

DL; wondering what is meant by "a curve bender" bull??

DL

DP - born little - grow fast  or put in different terms low BW and BW EPD, high WW and YW (and WW and YW EPD). Most (but not all ) true calving ease bulls don't have the growth that the "noncalving ease" regular kinda bulls have. SO having a bull with calves born small and vigorous but grow like weeds (so to speak) is a big bonus. Ali certainly isn't the only curve bender, but may be one of the only purebred Maines -  Hope that helped.

dutch pride

DL said:
DP - born little - grow fast  or put in different terms low BW and BW EPD, high WW and YW (and WW and YW EPD). Most (but not all ) true calving ease bulls don't have the growth that the "noncalving ease" regular kinda bulls have. SO having a bull with calves born small and vigorous but grow like weeds (so to speak) is a big bonus. Ali certainly isn't the only curve bender, but may be one of the only purebred Maines -   Hope that helped.

Thanks DL, I tried to use Ali this summer but could not get him.

DLZ