slick shear

Help Support Steer Planet:

milkmaid56

my local fair is switching from hair to slick sheared next year.  so what kind of steer should i be looking for?  does a certain color look better slick sheared?  any comments on this would be much appreciated!!!

pigguy

you will have to get an really good calf so he will still look good with out hair. i showed a char. heifer this year and she had like a bunch of brighter colored spot all over her. she looked like a dalmation. if i was showing slcik that is the kind i would want.

JSchroeder

It may just be a coincidence but smoke colored Charolais steers seem to have become a lot more popular in Texas since the majors went slick.

It was hard to tell if the Shorthorn steers were there for the dairy or market shows the first few years. 

shortyjock89

ooooh...sounds rough..are the Shorthorns in Texas really all hair? I thought that was where all the "good" ones went..

JSchroeder

That's why I made sure to say"the first few years".  They've definitely figured out the difference between hair steers and slick steers since the mid-90s. 

That first year at San Antonio it was hard to not constantly break down laughing at a lot of breeds but the Shorthorns were hit especially hard.

shortyjock89

Ah, my bad...but I have heard that there are some really bad slick-shear shows in Texas too...just as I'm sure you've heard about our bad hair shows...I have respect for anyone that's willing to shave off all the hair on their calf and then show it.  I would say that If you can't slick off your steer and him still be good, then you didn't have a good one to begin with.  Heifers is a different story, and I like growing the hair and fitting it..but then again, our cows out in the pasture don't need hair to look good...I just hope that slick shear shows never catch on up north..it's too much fun to fit!  (lol)

NHR

In Texas Ft Worth is a hair full fit show, San Antonio and Houston are slick shear shows for steers.

Joe Boy

Personally, I like the slick shear.  We sell beef and not hair.

I can remember blocking lots of lambs and loved it when we began to slick shear.  Most shows do now except some breeding shows.

In cattle there will be improvement in natural depth, fullness of lower leg, thickness in down the top, etc.  There will be less talk of softness and sogginess.  I do not like soggy steaks but I do like tender ones.... 

The Lifeline bull has really been a good one for slick shorn calves.  He works really well on Char. and other big bone and thick made cattle.