Slicking calves in the spring??

Help Support Steer Planet:

brs5

I have 5 head of low-end show steers.  My first fair is in July 15.  Would it be a good idea to slick my calves sometime soon and let the new hair grow in? or should i let the old work its course? I do not have alot of time in the evenings to spend alot of time with a comb. let me know if this is the dumbest post on the site. :) Oh, and i live in Iowa for a temperature idea. THANKS!!

CANsteer

i think its safe to say this is NOT the dumbest post. if the fair is in july, you should have plenty of time to grow hair back if you peel them

brs5

A. what kind of clippers do i use?
B. Do I clip the entire body or do I leave the belly and leg hair?

GFC#22

JMO i dnt like slicking them i think the hair that comes back is hard to work with its very course. I'd say just comb, comb, comb to get all the dead winter hair out and you'll be fine... but i know people that do slick in the spring and they are fine with doing so i guess its just personal preferance.

kfacres

rackranch said:
Most clipper companies make a blade for shearing hogs that leaves the hair 1/2 inch long...

as do the sheep shearing blades... 

They also make blade guards for various clipper and shearing head peices:  Much like what your hair dresser uses.

McCauleyCattle

We slicked all of our's after the State Fair to get ready for show in June and July... Nice new hair starting to come back in.

One of the really fuzzy ones was starting to get eggs for lice.  Keep in mind we are in Central Florida.

Rinse,rinse, rinse, brush, brush, brush...

wyatt

GFC#22 said:
JMO i dnt like slicking them i think the hair that comes back is hard to work with its very course. I'd say just comb, comb, comb to get all the dead winter hair out and you'll be fine... but i know people that do slick in the spring and they are fine with doing so i guess its just personal preferance.
ditto i also think just slick shearing the front part of the body(shoulders up) is also good and helps keep them cool