Smart Money?

Help Support Steer Planet:

savaged

I'm just thinking, the art of any business is being out front of change, and of course making the right choices is key.  So that said, while the club calf industry races toward the golden ring of the current calf prototype (e.g., bone, hair, neck, and coolness),  what is going to be the "Moneyball" equivalent for our industry.  Five to ten years from now, what will the best position be?  Most of us can't change a herd overnight, and some are going to start initiating change right now to be in that right spot.

I have my own ideas, or maybe I'm just nuts and it will just continue to be hair, mass, and at least acceptable structure.

Anybody want to share a business plan?

ctroidl

My guess is the focus changes to maternal characteristics, judges start picking cattle acceptable to the commercial herdsman and everyone forgets all about this hair and bone stuff. Lol
  ;D ;D ;D

Clubby24

I think hair and bone will still be wanted, but keep clubby genetics out of the herd. Every true big time clubby breeder knows the importance of a strong maternal foundation. Good females that are bred right NEVER go out of style.

ctroidl

Alongside my little purebred shorthorn operation I have been forming. I was thinking of developing some maine x angus x simmi females, so that by the time I finish University I would have a good base to breed clubby. After seeing those charolais mommas at agribition I might consider purchasing one or two of those.

Latest posts