Smokey Bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

nysteerguy

Guys I need some suggestions on a smokey bull to be used on a larger framed Maine influence cow and and possibly and moderate framed WMW commercial cow.  I am looking to get a couple of thick, wide bodies with that new look.  Both cows have had their calves unassisted, the one had the Lifeline calf I am so excited about that I mentioned in another post.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Nyer

red

I like Alias but I've heard they can have some feet issues.  Stainless Steel also impressed.
Tim Burke has had luck w/ Hoo Doo calves.

Red

cowz

nysteerguy said:
Guys I need some suggestions on a smokey bull to be used on a larger framed Maine influence cow and and possibly and moderate framed WMW commercial cow.  I am looking to get a couple of thick, wide bodies with that new look.  Both cows have had their calves unassisted, the one had the Lifeline calf I am so excited about that I mentioned in another post.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Nyer

Don't rule out going with a straight Charolais bull if you want to guarantee that silver color.  Look into Madrid.  (Baughman's)  Deep, clean lines, the muscle you need.  We breed our smokey calves the total opposite way....maine on the Charolais cows. 

Shorthorn_Junkie

cowz said:
nysteerguy said:

-Nyer

Don't rule out going with a straight Charolais bull if you want to guarantee that silver color.  Look into Madrid.  (Baughman's)  Deep, clean lines, the muscle you need.  We breed our smokey calves the total opposite way....maine on the Charolais cows. 

Anyone got any links to these smoke colored animals or other bulls that produce smoke colored progeny?  I would like to see what they look like. 

I'm wanting to produce a good smoky roan colored shorthorn plus calf. 

Thanks

chambero

Think purebred Charolais - not cross.  You'll likely get better calves with less problems.

vet tech

red said:
I like Alias but I've heard they can have some feet issues.  Stainless Steel also impressed.
Tim Burke has had luck w/ Hoo Doo calves.

Red
Stainless Steel....i agree

shortyjock89

clubcalve said:

You will NEVER get a smoke, silver, gray, or otherwise any off white color from a Sin City x Maine or WMW cow mating......unless one of those cow has a charolais parent. 

I would go with Madrid I think.  Baughman's have bred a LOT of winners.

C-CROSS

Chunky monkey for a full blood, or Goldmine, he is a lifelline sone out of a Thomas Ranch PB Char cow.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
I definitely think Carnac an Vanila Ice work really good, just had 6 calve's out of Carnac an a Char-purebred reg. cow  , calve's are under 90 lbs.two heifers  were under eighty  lbs. , I have used Lifeline an Heat Wave ,Liferline work's better on black's I  hope, the Heat Wave's don't have a birth weight I can live with , but I'm over sixty an I don't  handle pulling calve's like Used to an hope I've learned a few thing's over the year's. Disposition is also great on Carnac's an Vanilla Ice . Vanilla Ice is real moderate , smoke, has that Meyer front end look . Personally Madrid is a great looking Char bull but has one of the biggest birth EPD'S in the breed. Alias works well on sound footed cow's an birth seem's moderate. That's my two cent's worth an a little more, GOOD LUCK

JSchroeder

Anyone got any links to these smoke colored animals or other bulls that produce smoke colored progeny?  I would like to see what they look like. 

Every smoke colored bull will produce 50/50 smokes when bred to a homozygous black female.

The smoke color is caused by being heterozygous for the Charolais dilution gene along with either hetero or homo-zygous for black.  The only way to be guaranteed of a smoke colored calf is to breed a Charolais (or bull homozygous for the Charolais dilution gene) to a homozygous black cow.

Latest posts