Smokey calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

dutch pride

We are looking to breed for a couple smokey calves this year. One of the cows is a Shorthorn / Angus. She is black. Can I get  smokey calf from her if I breed her to a sire like Alias?  Or would I have better luck choosing a purebred Charolais? The other cow is a Heatseeker / Meyer734. Any suggestion as to what other sires to use? We are breeding for steers.

DLZ

frostback

If you breed a smoke bull to your Short/Angus you have a %25 chance of a Homo Black %25 chance of a hetro Black a %25 chance of a smoke and a %25 chance of a orangish or yellowish calf like Lautners new bull Orange Crush. If your other cow is not Homo Black also same odds if she is Homo Black the odds are %50 chance black %50 chance smoke.
If you breed them to a purebred Char then the odds are %50 chance Smoke %50 chance Orange or a yellowish.
If they are Homo Black then and you use a pure char then all calves will be smoke.
If you do you Alias you have a 50/50 chance of them being crippled also. If the cow has any clubbie blood in her I would not use Alias. Your Heet/Meyer cow is not a great combo. Not sure about the other but I would not recommend him on the Heet.

Latest posts