Smokey Steer Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

okiegirl

Can a smokey colored steer do well in shows north of the Red River?  We are in SE OK and have been told that black steers do better in shows in the north. (dog) <cowboy>

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Seems like the black influence is more dominate in North ,also more blacks, some judges also are partial to blacks ,the smokeys are still fairly new in most area's especially further east ....also hear a lot of kids wanting something besides another black calf ...Time of the year seems
to effect choice of color of the calves ....

Gargan

Buddy of mine had champ market steer at WV state fair last yr with a smoke alias son. i had champ WV state fair steer in 1991 with a smoke. Every year in between, champ has been black or black /white except year before last, champ was blue roan. i know WV state fair doesnt get much prestige but still, a smoke has won it. (clapping)

cpratz

You can but it's real hard in Oklahoma. You can win your breed but not usually overall I've had champion char at every show I've been to this year in Oklahoma but never won the whole show.

nathan572

There are way more black cattle that smokes or colored cattle, so sure it would look like black cattle are more competitive. I would hope that if a smoke or red were actually better than a black calf, they would stand on top. Another thing about black cattle is that they are easier to hide the flaws opposed to smoke cattle.