Smokin' Joe

Help Support Steer Planet:

flacowman

Is he heifer safe?  I came across some semen for a deal and was told he is heifer safe, topsires lists him as such, but I've been told by a couple of people not to breed heifers with him...any experiences?

gates98

Had good and bad with him,  most have been small with no problems, but have had 2 over 100 that were flat BIG in every way(heifers did have some bigger genes).  I will not use him on heifers again.  Hope this helps.

Freerider

We've had 3 had out of him:

1 out of a big maine cow, she just spit it out I assume, it was up drinking when I saw it.

1 out of heatwave heifer, it was and still is very small. Damn heatwave heifer won't milk, lol

1 out of our Who Made Who/ Meyer 734 heifer, 10 days early, tough pull, calf was dead and the mother spit the calf bed and bled to death. That one stung real bad, not sure where we'll get a WMW/734 again, I had high hopes for that mother.

Would I use him on a heifer again, not sure, I think I'd use Special Delivery instead, just a better bull I think.

zapper

I bred 5 bigger simmi/angus 2nd calf heifers to smokin joe, I had hard pulls on 3 of the 5, calves ranged from 93lbs to 110lbs.  Calves seem to grow slower than some of the other calves born at the same time.

cattlemanr

We have never used him on heifers but have bred him with success to cows.  Birthweight wise he is a bull that breeds to the cow.  If she has had a big one in the past the have some BW if they usually have little ones they are small.  From other reports I have heard over the last couple years that seems to ring true.  The people that have used is most successfull on Heifers have been on Calving ease angus type females.  We have had some good Smokin Joe's out of High % maine cows.  Stout bulls and we just calved out the first heifer.  She calved unassited and is going to be a really nice producer. We are using a Smokin Joe X Mercedes 701P son purchased at BPF and those calves our outstanding!