smooth finish

Help Support Steer Planet:

debtramm

Need a little advice please.  My daughter has 34 days until show.  Steer is certainly fat enough but is still a bit rippled.  He's on  4 scoops of steam rolled corn daily already which is being added to his grain ration.

I can add barley but my question is . ..  is 34 days of barley intake enough to smooth the finish and, if so, how much barley should he get per day?  Do we replace the corn w/ barley or  what?

Thanks for your comments.  Deb

SlickTxMaine

We fed Max E Glo Stabilized Rice Bran last year at the end; 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. twice a day.  I replaced the corn with this.  Build it up daily as he can get loose on it.  I don't think it's ever too late.... any improvement is better than nothing.  Good luck!

vc

If he has plenty of cover, you might back off the corn and feed the Stabilized Rice Bran as suggested. We fed it the last few years and it does help lay down a smooth layer of cover, helps the skin and hair as well.

Good luck

Bradenh

ditto the rice bran for me, we use it religiously with corn and cottonseed hulls to get them fat. but the hulls is a long term deal

Ms Ray

we used rice bran last year also for both lambs and the steers and was happy with is, also it will not burn them out like corn

Bradenh

Start with 2lbs  a day and work your way up to like four by the time you are 30days out. This is different if you start out late however, I'd say this late in the game start with 3 per day and increase it whenever he starts eating it good

vc

We would start any where from 90-120 days out and fed 2 pounds a day. Since this steer is already "fat enough" I would feed 2-3 pounds a day. I believe you have just over 30 days and are trying to get that fat to smooth out. Make sure it is Stabilized Rice Bran, Rice Bran does not have the same qualities. I preferred the pellets, calves clean it up every time.