Smooth Sailing birthweights?

Help Support Steer Planet:

SPL

I have read a few posts that say Smooth Sailing calves come pretty easy, does anyone have any direct experience with this?  Or have you heard of any specific bithweights?  Thanks.

TMJ Show Cattle

Two very good friends of ours have about 10 calves from him that have weighed between 76 and 87 lbs.on scales at birth from diffent size cows.

rtmcc

Our first Smooth sailing calf is due Easter weekend.  After a lot of purebred business, this is our first "clubby bred" calf to come out of a purebred Angus cow.
Just wondering what every one has seen for birth weights and calving out of Smooth Sailing.  The cow is a moderate framed deep bodied thick Future Direction daughter that has calving ease on her side.  She is a five year old.

Thanks for the input!

Ron
<cowboy>

DTW

I havent used the bull but from talking to Kroupa i would say you bred him to the right kind of cow.  He told me to use  him on cows that full flush used to work on.  Deep bodied, square hipped. 
Sorry dont know about birth weights.

REM

Three born this spring.  Unfortunately all heifers, out of 3 different bred cows.  All went 10 days over and averaged 88 to 95 lbs.  Never touched a one.  Same cows were bred to Heatwave last year, had heifers then too.  Compared to last years calves Smooth Sailing look like they will be deeper, thicker with more bone and hair.

rtmcc

Getting close to our first one coming.  Any more calving reports on him??

Thanks!
Ron
<cowboy>

gary89

My neighbor has had several Smooth Sailing calves out of a wide variety of cows with no issues. He likes the calves as well. I have some coming out of Angus cows the 1st week of April.

rtmcc

Had our Smooth Sailing calf this morning at 4:00 AM.  102# bull calf came spitting right out and jumped up.  She started about 3:30 and it was up nursing by 4:25.  Supose the  cow side of the equation helped this a little to. Out of a Reg. Angus cow by Future Direction.  Had a hard time catching it at 6:00 to weigh it.  Looks pretty nice for being out of a purebred Angus.  I can try to get pictures in the next couple of days.

Ron
<cowboy> <beer>