Soft pasterns

Help Support Steer Planet:

ROMAX

I have a maintainer heifer that i have been messing around with for the last 2 weeks since she was weaned,she has good leg set in her rear but she appears soft in her pasterns,for a replacement heifer i think she is perfect she will walk forever on those back legs.My question is will it hurt her in the ring? i know they want them fairly straight with a little flex so should i not bother with this calf and just keep her and breed her next year.Thanx guys.

knabe

unless your animal has no heel, i wouldn't worry about it.

think about it, people have over defaulted our breeding to be too stiff/straight on their pasterns and through the hock.

it's almost as if the default is pathetically forward slipping on their pasterns.

perhaps our happy medium is skewed and if they are straight but not slipping forward, this has mistakenly been ingrained to be perfect.

bad bad bad bad bad.

you would think all these expert breeders would have solved problems like this a long time ago.  perhaps its a way of guaranteeing that the kept animals (not in the sale) will have an advantage.

one suspect i have is

http://www.maine-anjou.org/pagedisplay.php?id=7929073

stories persist his pedigree is not accurate.

olsun

Knabe. I am curious. as to why you brought up Black Gold when speaking of soft pasterns, I saw Black Gold at the beef expo in Des Moines many years ago, If my memory is correct he was owned by T J Peters from Ne, At that time I was trying to raise  pb Black Maine. so I know how hard it was to keep one solid black using full bloods to 15?16 percentage, I was among those who doubted his pedigree, Thanks for the memory,

knabe

just a hunch.

people say he has chi in him.  i saw quite a few chi in the old days and the forward pasterns seem to have a chi look to them, not that the chi's slipped forward, in fact i don't remember any that did.  for some reason there might just be a combo problem.  pedigree after pedigree has him in there.  he's a double cunia supposedly, top and bottom, with cunia a slot further back on the bottom.  i really don't see how phenotypically the bottom could be correct with danigo and bysantin in there.

olsun

Knabe. it has been a while. but I don't recall him having the frame or the coarseness you would expect from Bysantine or Danigo, I never used Danigo. but he sure didn't show the Bysintine look,

knabe

he had to get his prettiness from somewhere.  perhaps he's the cleanup bull on the bottom.

would like to see an extended DNA profile that included and extended profile from cunia, bysantin and danigo.

i bet there's some ildeno or something similar in there.

to me, it's really interesting how the black "maine" bulls looked like back then, might as well throw in all the other cattle as well. 

i find it difficult to see how they could have gotten so tall and pretty fronted with less navel without chi.