Some HOG!

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

The pig was in our papers down here last weekend.  The pig is real, my only question is how did a kid that young small shoot a .50 cal pistol.  If I remember reading correctly, it was taken on a high-fenced place.  With enough access to food, these things can get just as big as domesticated pigs. 

I imagine that pig could put up quite a fuss.  We have feral pigs running around on us.  My biggest was a 370 lb boar last September.  He took several shots with a .22-250 like they were bee stings.  We finally got him cornered and he decided to take on our pickup.  The Ranchand bumper won.  I couldn't imagine taking on one over 1,000 lbs.

498085.jpg

One of my more "redneck" days.  Mine is a baby up against that one.

knabe

i knew something was hoggy

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/stories/2007/06/01/0601monsterpig.html

interesting the feral trapping and relocating rule.  amazing the ends we will go to to kill native animals and plant life at the expense of saving pigs.  we should put them in the city where they belong, right next to city hall.  but oh, we gotta get rid of those cows so we can build condo's cause, well, growth, yeah that's it growth.

In Ca, pinnacles "national" park was fenced, and all the pigs killed by my neighbor, who has since gone on to get a Ph.D. in feral pig genetics in south dakota to survey uhm, all the feral pig populations in the us and see why what is where.  personally, i'd just hire him to round them all up.  that dude works fast.

cattlechick

Wow, I must say that hog is truly huge!!! I have hunted wild pigs a few times and they are fun to hunt, but you really dont want to mess with them too awful much, they can be mean, and they are TUFF animals, and sometimes tougher to actually kill,really...sometimes it takes the right shot to get them good. I shot one and got him in the chest (not on purpose) but he kept going for a long time, its like they have a steel chest plate. But its quite a thrill when you get ona bunch and chase them. Chambero...have any good hunting dogs?

AAOK

I watched a story about this Hog this morning on FOX News.  It is real, and accurate!  What the boy and Father didn't know at the time was that the Hog was Farm raised.  A guy gave the pig to his wife, and it had been a family pet.  It got too big, and mean, and was donated to a public game reserve.  The Hog was hunted, shot, and killed legally.

garybob

Where in Texas are you from? Where did you kill the " little piglet" you are pictured with? Was that a south-TX hunt?
chambero said:
The pig was in our papers down here last weekend.  The pig is real, my only question is how did a kid that young small shoot a .50 cal pistol.  If I remember reading correctly, it was taken on a high-fenced place.  With enough access to food, these things can get just as big as domesticated pigs. 

I imagine that pig could put up quite a fuss.  We have feral pigs running around on us.  My biggest was a 370 lb boar last September.  He took several shots with a .22-250 like they were bee stings.  We finally got him cornered and he decided to take on our pickup.  The Ranchand bumper won.  I couldn't imagine taking on one over 1,000 lbs.

498085.jpg

One of my more "redneck" days.  Mine is a baby up against that one.

jason

Is that considered Fair Game, hunting a domesticated pig in a fenced in area with a 50 caliber handgun???  :-\

Not much of a "hunt" to me, more like a video game.

chambero

The story on the big pig has come out that it was shot in a 160-acre high-fenced place.  The pig was basically hand fed until he got to that size.  Too many stories like that nowadays.  It gives "hunting" a very bad black eye.

I'm from north Texas up around Wichita Falls.  My piglet is typical of a "big one" that runs truly free range.  They certainly get a lot bigger, but you don't ever see them.  I don't have "pig dogs" but there are people in our area that do.  We just shoot at them if we catch them out in the pastures. 

Wild pigs aren't better than "raised" ones.  In my opinion, the same thing applies to all wild game.  Young wild pigs and sows are fine to eat, with the main difference being they have little bitty pork chops.  The boar pictured stunk to high heaven. 

DL

Telos said:
            At first, I thought DL was showing us the results of another PHA calf. But that's a wild boar. I didn't know they carried the defect too.

That DL ya gotta watch her!

What I heard today about this pig is that some guy bought the pig as a baby for his wife (great guy eh!) anyhow it is apparently a domenstic pig and when if got huge they sold it to a hunt club kinda place where this kid shot it - apparently they chased it for 3 hours - I guess I find the idea of selling a domestic "pet pig" (his name was Fred) to a hunt club pretty gross and then chasing it for 3 hours equally gross and it sort of falls into the other topic (leaving cows in the field ...) - was this really in the best interest of the pig? how does chasing a domestic pig in an enclosed area qualify as sport?

chambero

It doesn't qualify as a sport.  It's just killing for the sake of killing and getting your picture in the paper.

LinZ

The hog may weigh what they said he did.. he may have been killed legally but I think something is wrong with that picture... I've seen one truly huge hog in my lifetime..didn't get too close..saw it through binoculars and from the highway and he had to be 1,000+ but couldn't get to him at the time due to flood waters. The biggest I've ever caught by hand weighed 500 lbs..I use hog dogs..Plott Hounds for trailing and baying and bulldogs to catch.Most of the ones we catch here are 100-250 lbs. Simply because the 60lb is ones run to long...so we usually wind up losing their trail. If it's a short race it's usually a big boar because he thinks he's tuff and can take the dogs on so he'll stop and bay. I prefer wild hog meat to tame..    It's so much fun to get up at 4 in the morning on a saturday and listen to the dogs barking when they get on the scent. We never use guns when we're hunting. Anyway, back to the picture...I haven't blown it up and looked at it but I have a 1600 lb heifer and my sister who's 11 doesn't look that small beside her.

LinZ