Some north of the border love

Help Support Steer Planet:

itk

I'm sure JIT has been chomping at the bit waiting for someone to put up a post about this sale so he could chime in. If you haven't gone to Alta Cedar's site and looked at the "Fever" sale catalog I would highly recommend it. There are some outstanding looking lots in the sale with pedigrees that would be a nice addition to most US herds. By the way Grant what is the exchange rate right now. It could make some of those calves look even better.

OH Breeder

Speaking of sales. Yes, I have the catalog. Great looking cattle.
How did the little cedar sale turn out ITK?

Attachments

• alta cedar prairie heifer.jpg
    alta cedar prairie heifer.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 441
  • first blood heifer.jpg
    first blood heifer.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 437

justintime

You are right about the quality in "The Fever" sale. There are some excellent females, flushes and embryos in this sale. The exchange rate is not going to help Americans much now as the Canadian dollar and the US dollar have been almost at par for the past few days. A few days ago, The canadian dollar was actually at a 1% premium. After the Canadian $ being worth about $.55 to the US $ about four years ago, I never thought we would ever see it at par again. Some are saying that the Canadian $ may go as high as 5-10 % above the US $ by year end, but I will believe that when I see it.

The Fever sale will be broadcast live on liveauctions.tv so if anyone is interested in bidding on any cattle themselves they should register early. I have offered to keep any US purchases free of charge until late November or early December and will deliver them to a mid west location at my cost to do it ( my fuel, vet costs, etc). There will definitely be some cattle in this sale that will be very competitive in US shows and there are also some outcross genetics offered.
The sale catalogue is also on my website www.horseshoecreekfarms.com.
If you want any info. on any lots, I would be more than pleased to help.

Doc

Hey JIT, are your lot 9a eggs exportable to the US.I like your lot 29, I also like the lot 34 bred in the sale.

justintime

Doc.... all our embryos are exportable to the US and to most other countries as well. We wash all our embryos as it is so easy to do and our vets don't even charge us for it. This simple procedure really makes the world your market place, as embryos and semen are the most cost affective method of moving gentics around the world.
All embryos produced from the flushes we are selling are guaranteed to be exportable. I usually sell my embryos in packages of 4 as I guarantee a minimum of 50 % pregnancy rate at 60 days providing an experienced embryo technican is used, and normally accepted management is provided. I don't know of anyone else who offers a 50% conception rate, and I do this simply because I believe that anyone who buys from us should be able to get some results. So far in hundreds of embryos sold, I have only had two people that have not received at least 50% preg rate. I sold 10 embryos to a guy in Scotland last January and he got 10 pregnancies. I have never had that much success!!
The lot 29 Salute heifer is a real sweetheart. She has been a standout since birth and  is from a really great cow.

OH Breeder

JIT,
I have 5 units of Alta Cedar First Blood and this is the first I have seen calves out of him. Would you say he is fairly easy calver or have you used him? I bought 5 units when he first came out. I have to agree the catalog is really good. Nice set of females.
I did notice a lot of Byland Influence. They are just a stones throw away from where i am. Is there a particular reason for that?

justintime

I have not used First Blood myself, so I am not sure if he can be called an easy calving sire or not. You could check with Peter Boake and see what he says. I will find out more about him at the sale next week .
Byland Gold Spear was used in Canada, and for the most part, did a very good job up here. He was probably the most consistent AI sires to come along in quite awhile. His influence is very evident in this sale. I think the only other Byland breeding in this sale comes from our Presto cow. She is sired by Byland Sparkler who was a herd sire at Shadybrook  for awhile.

itk

Thats to bad about the exchange rate. When I went up to Agribition about 10 years ago $1 US was about $1.50 Canadian. I felt like the richest person in Canada. The only problem I ran into was having alot of money didn't feel so great after a few nights at the Swamp and the Pump.

uluru

I really am stupid
I deleted my post before I sent it

It was

FEVER sale went well. Average was $3001. CDN

Live Auction process worked well although I missed a couple at the end of bidding on the lots when my fingers didn't work fast enough
Some people complained about the sound but I had no problem with it.
You couldn't see the animals clearly on the web because of the lighting in the ring
A great way to buy flushes, embryos and semen over the auction

OH Breeder

uluru said:
I really am stupid
I deleted my post before I sent it

It was

FEVER sale went well. Average was $3001. CDN

Live Auction process worked well although I missed a couple at the end of bidding on the lots when my fingers didn't work fast enough
Some people complained about the sound but I had no problem with it.
You couldn't see the animals clearly on the web because of the lighting in the ring
A great way to buy flushes, embryos and semen over the auction

What did the First Blood Heifer for that is pictured above?? She looked great in picture.

justintime

First Blood heifer sold for $3600. I purchased her on order for Cleggetts in Saskatchewan. The sale average was actually about $3190 not 3001 as reported following the sale. It was a strong sale from top to bottom. To me, the most interesting thing was the number of well known breeders of other breeds who came to the sale. Some came quite a distance so it looks like their interest was genuine. Lots of bigging on the internet and cattle sold to several provinces and US states.
Another interesting thing was how consistent the bidding was, as the lower end females sold within a few hundred $ of the top animals. It was a great start to this sale. Next year should even be better