Some pics for the SP gang to critique.....

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

Here are some pictures for the SP gang to comment on and tell me what you like and dislike. These are some of the 15 head we are taking to Agribition later this week. We have spent a little time getting them inot their
"town clothes".

The first pictures are of our Leader 21st heifer who I pictured on here 9 weeks ago. She has changed in those 9 weeks and I think she has changed in good ways. Her Flush mate brother is also pictured and he sells at Agribition. Both are entered in Denver as well.

The next pictures are of two Major Leroy daughters that we are showing. The heifer calf was born in March/08. The bred heifer was born in March /07.

Attachments

• HC Picture Perfect 6Usm.jpg
    HC Picture Perfect 6Usm.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 945
  • HC Picture Perfect 6Usm.jpg
    HC Picture Perfect 6Usm.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 916
  • HC Leader's Legacy 9U -3.jpg
    HC Leader's Legacy 9U -3.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 944
  • HC Myrtle Bo 19Usm.jpg
    HC Myrtle Bo 19Usm.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 919
  • HC Cherry Mist 59Usm.jpg
    HC Cherry Mist 59Usm.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 935

justintime

Here are a couple more... these two are selling at Agribition on November 27th

The first is a Saskvalley Pioneer 126P heifer born in Feb/08
The second is a Major Leroy heifer born in Feb/08 as well. She is entered in Denver.

Attachments

• HC Fairest Faye 14Usm.jpg
    HC Fairest Faye 14Usm.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 797
  • HC Red Lady 11Usm.jpg
    HC Red Lady 11Usm.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 802

MYT Farms

Your HC Myrtle Bo 19U is a nice one. I really like how broody she looks and yet how well she balances up. A little weak topped? She looks like she is standing a little funny, though. Maybe a tick more bone under her for how broody she is. HC Picture Perfect has changed for the better. Like to see just a tick more muscle in her quarter to balance her up a little nicer in the second pic. Yer bull is OK, but I'd like to see a little more masculinity. He seems to be a little pinched in for-rib and flank. Was he empty? That takes away a little from his look, IMO. Like HC Cherry Mist! I'm a sucker for those broody ones. She does, however, seem to get bigger the farther forward I go. Take off some of that shoulder and lengthen her out a bit, mainly from the shoulder forward. HC Fairest Faye is a pretty up-headed, showy type female. Overall, I think she balances up perty good and has the circumference of bone to support a lot of muscle and volume later on. HC Red Lady is really nice up front. Long, feminine, and smooth shouldered. Unfortunately, she is also light boned, but balances out nice. Like to see her with more power.
OK, for all of you, I want you to tell me how I did on critique. I'm in Livestock Judging and want you to give me feedback. I've got some tough coaches, so don't be afraid to point out where I am wrong.

JoeBnTN

Grant,

I really like the Myrtle Bo heifer - she's the right kind north or south of the border.  

The Leader 21 heifer looks unique - for me she seems like one of those females that you won't truly appreciate until she's 2-3 years old. She appears in the photos to be acceptable on bone, but I wouldn't call her "stout" and considering the way they were sorted at Louisville yesterday, for a lot of US folks she might not appear to have enough bone.  But if you want the kind that will calve easy and make a great producing kind of female, she sure looks like one to me.

Good luck with all of them.

justintime

I know it is very hard to evaluate just from a very amateurish picture, but I must say that you have done a pretty good job. The Mrytle Bo heifer is strong topped IMO, but she was not standing the best and I was losing patience, so we just snapped the pics.She is going to develop into a good cow.  Same thing with the Red Lady heifer. She has been an eye catching heifer since birth, and she has more butt than this picture shows , but I would love to give her a little more depth of rib  and just a touch more bone. I don't need as much bone in my females as some people, but I do think a little more would make her more competitive in the ring. Cherry Mist is a small tank  and she is backed by a great milking line of females, so I am thinking what is inside her may be even better than she is  herself. She is bred to our Saskvalley Pioneer 126P so I am expecting something special. Hopefully, I am not wrong.

The Leader 21 bull maybe doesn't show his masculinity well in the picture. He developed his masculinity very early and has been a real bull for several months now. If he changes as much in the next two months as he has in the past two months, he is going to be a very good bull. These Leader cattle have different growth patterns than our calves from sires of today, so they have kept me guessing all summer. The Leader 21 heifer is extremely thick and moderate framed, and she has hair like a muskox. I don't remember the Leader cattle being this hairy.

coyote

Looks like you got all your work done for Agribition, the cattle look good. I sure like the Mrytle heifer.

I like the masculine head on your 21st bull calf, looking forward to see him in person.

justintime

Here is one more. ... This is an April heifer sired by NPS Improver 948 ( a TH free son of Deerpark Improver and Ka'Ba Rose T90). She has a droopy ear in this picture but she may well be as good as anything we are dragging out this year.

Attachments

• HC Fire and Lace 83Usm.jpg
    HC Fire and Lace 83Usm.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 713

MYT Farms

Well balanced, square, balances up nice, and is relatively clean fronted. She looks great. I still like the Myrtle Bo heifer better.  ;)

Bawndoh

You should repost the video of that bull calf on here.  You can REALLY see his true masculinity on the video.  I LOVE his head and the mature look he already has. 

justintime

here is the video of the L21 bull again

http://s378.photobucket.com/albums/oo222/horseshoecreekfarms/?action=view&current=LeadersLegacy9U.flv

klintdog

I really like the look of the Improver female, as well as that Myrtle Bo heifer. If I was in the shortie business, or looking to make a breed change, I'd definitely have a hard time sitting on my hands when those girls came through the ring.

OH Breeder

My favorite female is the first one. There is nothing extreme about her. She is a solid looking female. You really can't fault her for much. I am not into huge bone on females, I know I know, that is how you get big boned steers, but. You could do alot with her. She has the ability to be bred to extreme type bulls and she would moderate them. I really like females that are functional and versatile. She looks alot like her poppa.

bcosu

i really like the cherry mist heifer. she just looks like a cow with alot of power. she seems like she would be consistent too if she is a sib to the other heifer.

knabe

i like the fairest, pic perfect and legacy 9 pics and how they all have the same look from the middle of their back to their pins, especially over the spine to hooks junction.  it really looks like it won't over rotate there compared to the rest of the spine, compared to say one that had a more agressive growth curve.

Doc

JIT, I really like the Myrtle Bo female, she looks like she is doing the family proud. I also like the Faye hfr really well. They sure have changed a bunch from the pictures in the catalog. The Improver dtr looks pretty good but I may be kinda prejudiced because he's a full brother to my Stride bull. They make tremendous cows.Good luck!!!

shortdawg

JIT, I watched the video tonight and your 21st bull looks nice. The pic really doesn't do him any justice at all.