Some thoughts from a cattle breeder...

Help Support Steer Planet:

Telos

I ran across this in a previous sale catalog.

Thought I should share:

The destination is problem-free cows produced with greater consistency.--- The unmeasured qualities that
make cow production easier and reduce human stress are actually more than a convenience, they are
essential to producer profitability. Maternal characteristics such as disposition, mothering ability, functional
confirmation, longevity, etc. are often compromised or overlooked during our efforts to produce more pounds
of the preferred product over a day in a short period of time.  Ultimately, these compromises tend to get us in trouble.

red

I think anytime you try to breed for one trait or characteristics you will lose something. I think if you look at a lot of the breeds that are focusing on one thing, you are seeing a trend away from what made them great in the first place.
Where did the quote come from Telos & what breed?

Red

Telos

The quote came from the joint production sale of Cedar Top Ranch and JG Johnson Gelvieh. 
Their cows have to be tuff and hard working to make it in the harsh environment of the Sandhills.

garybob

Exactly what I'm saying all along. Treat 'em like cows.They're just a bit more tactful than I am.

Joe Boy

Good report Teleos:

Cows should calve without problems, love their babies, milk to get them to grow, be easy to get along with, raise a calf that will have longevity or easy feeding qualities, should be able to survive in adverse times, structurally sound and , and profitable.

I had a three year old to have her calf in a sand washed gully.  I cleaned the sand from it's mouth, eyes and nose.  She took great care of it... I held it up to nurse and she let me milk her in the middle of the pasture.  We did not show her and she is not halter broke but just gentle.  That is the way I want my cows.  They are doing well on wheat pasture.

Thanks again.