Something different

Help Support Steer Planet:

LLBUX

This is a purebred Belted Galloway bull calf born August 5.  He's weighing about 300 pounds.

Measured about 31" yesterday which makes him about a frame score 1.

Smaller than I prefer, but should produce a real good carcass.

Momma is about frame 3 and weighs 1300+.  Bought her last summer and she calved 3 weeks later.

Like the hair on him?

Just something different.

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    387.5 KB · Views: 165

LLBUX

Here's another view of him.  

Ever seen more heart girth on a 4 month old calf?

Sucking and getting about 4 pounds/grain day.

Pic taken uncombed, just coming in to be petted.

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    388.5 KB · Views: 156

Simmgal

I've always wanted one of these just to have around and see what the calves would look like! He looks like a little chunk!  You've got a cute little stud there!  <rock>

LLBUX

He is a real joy to have around.  We have a few others as well.  
We'll be breeding to a taller bull this spring to get bigger calves, although this one is growing very well.

This pic is a May bull calf we are keeping to use and show next year.  He has a lot of potential I think.  We call him Tuxedo.
A couple of guys have tried hard to buy him as a steer.  Pic is at 5 1/2 months.  He  was about 6" taller than the other bull calf shown above.

If you'd seriously like to breed some Belties, semen is cheap on most bulls and readily available from some of the major breeders.    I hope to have some on my Tuxedo bull in May or June and would give you some to try.

If you'd like to find a local breeder, check out beltie.org or PM me for names of folks in your state who can help you out.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 091.JPG
    091.JPG
    445.7 KB · Views: 177

Simmgal

Thanks for the info! I had talked to someone in another state but I never got a chance to go look at their cattle. I think it would just be fun th have the color in the herd. I'll definitely check out that site! I really like your little bull. Good Luck!

ruhtram

I like your calves. We always had a few family that brought belted Galloway's to our county fair.  Was kinda neat to have a belted galloway class!

LLBUX

Some good things about Belties:

1.Appendix cattle are easy to register(cheap too)  They must be out of a purebred bull to be eligible for registry.

2.They have a very good program for juniors.

3.The color pattern absolutely makes out stand out in the ring.  Belt usually breeds true on solid cows.

4.The cattle are extremely hardy(even in hot weather).

5.The hair is exceptional!!!!

6.Grass-fed cattle are hot commodities.

7.Small birthweights so they are ideal for heifers.

8.I have had no problems selling a couple of extra heifers I bought this fall.  They are in demand due to their rarity.  My ad was on Craigslist and I recieved calls from 5 states.  Sold 'em in just a few days.  Would have kept them, I just don't have the room.

9.The Beltie org has a free semen program for juniors.    5 doses of free semen from some national-caliber bulls. Must go in a purebred cow, no bull permit for one calf.  Keep the rest for next year.

10.Bred for good dispositions and longevity.

Enough of the sales pitch!

Angus n Club

I'm so happy to see people still raise Belted Galloways!! I miss mine! Maybe in the future will have them again. Your calves look good too!  <party>

Angus n Club

LLBUX said:
He is a real joy to have around.  We have a few others as well.  
We'll be breeding to a taller bull this spring to get bigger calves, although this one is growing very well.

This pic is a May bull calf we are keeping to use and show next year.  He has a lot of potential I think.  We call him Tuxedo.
A couple of guys have tried hard to buy him as a steer.  Pic is at 5 1/2 months.  He  was about 6" taller than the other bull calf shown above.

If you'd seriously like to breed some Belties, semen is cheap on most bulls and readily available from some of the major breeders.    I hope to have some on my Tuxedo bull in May or June and would give you some to try.

If you'd like to find a local breeder, check out beltie.org or PM me for names of folks in your state who can help you out.

Good luck!

I love their dispositions and not to mention their thickenss and maternal package that comes with them.

Shadow Hill Farm

So happy to see people still raise them. Some of the best cattle I raised were belties! I hope that down the road I will have some again. By the way nice looking calves there! Do you have a website?

Shadow Hill Farm

Simmgal said:
Thanks for the info! I had talked to someone in another state but I never got a chance to go look at their cattle. I think it would just be fun th have the color in the herd. I'll definitely check out that site! I really like your little bull. Good Luck!

IMO you won't regret it if you get one! Belties are known for their thickness, gentle disposition and maternal packages. I used to have a red beltie. Her markings were awesome. She was the only red we had the rest were black belties.

LLBUX

Sorry, no website-yet.

We bought our first Beltie in July, so we are brand new.  We will grow our herd a bit each year, just don't have enough pasture to have many at one time.

We love 'em!

Shadow Hill Farm

LLBUX said:
Sorry, no website-yet.

We bought our first Beltie in July, so we are brand new.   We will grow our herd a bit each year, just don't have enough pasture to have many at one time.

We love 'em!

No worries on the website.  ;) I understand completely. We too have just started back up and are very small. We are getting there.  (lol) Still would love to have a beltie again! Feel free to pm anytime with updated pictures or post them here. Love to look at them. Good luck with your herd! Merry Christmas to you.