Something Positve!

Help Support Steer Planet:

In the Know

I would like to know what everyone thinks is the single most important they have learned from a youth livestock project, or something they hope there children will pick up because of a youth livestock project.

Please, Keep all postings POSITIVE! and Just list one Thing.

I will go first.........

Networking, I have met some many amazing people, they have helped me to get to where I am today in my professional career today, whether it was challenging me, or helping me out with a problem. These people kept me engaged to seek out and achieve goals I never thought I could accomplish.

firesweepranch

Oh my gosh! This one can become a monster  ;D

For me, in my older years, I would have to say CAREER! I have become who I am because of my projects in FFA. Consistency, honesty, record keeping, basic animal care, I could go on and on, but you get the point. I am a better speaker because of FFA, a better debater (Parli Pro!), and can write a pretty darn good paper  ;)
All that lead to my career as a college ag teacher, and before that a high school ag teacher.

For my kids, I hope they learn responsibility! Right now my daughter is getting dressed for a contest, early morning for a Saturday. Last year she wanted to quit when on a team, and I gave her the lecture of letting others down when she does that because her action will affect the entire team. Each of my three kids have heifers (and one steer), and at night have to feed and groom. Sometimes they do not want to do their chores but have learned it is not fair to the animal to just decide not to do it one day. We have no cable or satellite TV here, no time for it!

herfluvr

The Circle of Life.  Learning that livestock's purpose is to feed us is hard for a kid.  I don't think it get's a lot easier as time goes by to raise, care, show and harvest one.  But this is how life works.  Farm kids and families know how to be good stewards of thier stock.   They know there is a purpose to what they are doing and that it is not death but continues life.  People in this country have become all to detached from where thier food comes from and what it takes to raise it.  They would do well to lead an animal to the truck.  Might jsut get them off thier righteous horse.

wyatt

you never know everything your always learning, sometimes from the people you least expect... the people who were teaching me how to clip 4 years ago are asking me for pointers  (lol)

another thing ive learned is it is not always about winning, its about the time spent with family and freinds doing somthing everyone enjoys.

bruiser

Boy, how do you tell someone about something that effects almost everything you do every day. An Ag teacher made me who and what I am today. With alittle help from family, friends and God.

bringing purple

Im only still 18 years old and have ALOT to learn but FFA and rasing steers has molded me into who I am. Taught me responsibility and respect. Most of all be involved in agriculture has taught me to love land and work hard to keep it in the way our lord would want to see it. Nothing is more important to me then cattle. FFA and growing up around agriculture has developed my passion, CATTLE

MCC

The ability to post on an online forum without making anyone mad.  (thumbsup)  (lol)

farmmom73

What a great topic!  I hope that my kids learn that hard work pays off in the end.  Whether it's the end of a show season or the end of their show career, hard work is key to getting good results and satisfaction in a job well done.  Hopefully they will understand that hard work doesn't necessarily mean winning everytime but that they will take pride in what they have accomplished. 

Angus2131

I learned a lot when I was in FFA and 4-H alike. Responsibility, integrity and to try my hardest at everything I do. I can go on and on but that's just a couple. Not to mention the way my parents raised me as well! Great topic by the way.

farmin female

Great question.

Perseverance. 

Its one of the things we probably all have, but showing livestock for several years will sure help you build it.  Kind of like a muscle I guess.  Of course anyone who farms or ranches for a living knows it all too well.

farmboy

Career obviously since I'm trying to be Vet and all. Networking is also and important thing to pick up. I know a lot of people now  (lol)

Black Sheep

As a Cooperative Extension Agent in the Mid-Atlantic/Southeast, every year when I evaluate programs, the youth livestock programs are a huge success! I've heard it said many times, and I could not agree more, that youth livestock projects are a great tool to raise children. From their parents, teachers, friends, and the children themselves, we find that they learn the invaluable life skills of: responsibility, development of a work ethic, time management, develop the skills of observation and evaluation, team work, decision making, and much more. Not to mention, they spend valuable time with their family, learn about the livestock industry, and make many, MANY life-long friends. The time I've spent with the children is amazing.

If you think they're NOT listening to what you say, I promise you that they are! It amazes me what some of the kiddos will repeat back to me from a conversation that occurred several years before.

When I started this job 9+ years ago, I never dreamed how much I would love working with children on youth livestock projects. But, I've learned that the children make the job worth doing. There is no question youth livestock projects make a HUGE POSITIVE IMPACT on our youth and we have to remember, they are our future!

vc

I came from a city with 3 high schools and back then probably 80,000 people. The friends I have from high school are all from the FFA or 4-H, I played football, hung out with all walks of people but really have no contact with those buddies I had that weren't in livestock. I have been to the funeral of one of my Ag teacher( more than 30 of us traveled over 300 miles, one 1500 to attend, I have been to the weddings of both my Ag teachers sons (Neither had any girls)
Back then kids joined the FFA because they wanted to be involved not get Science credits. Life long friends is what I think about the most, hard work, responsibility, perseverance, success, and compassion, just seemed to happen on the trip.

My boys are now out of the youth programs, and one is working the other is in college, they both are better young men for the time they spent involved in the 4-H and Ag. The Ranch we bout calves from invited the oldest back to work at their sale every year, the last time he was there for 2 months rinsing feeding and rinsing some more. Most of the kids they hang out with were involved in Ag, they may not see someone they met at jackpots for a year but when they do it was just like they had seen them last week, joking and teasing and messing around like boys do.

I think the best thing you get from youth Ag, is friends (Not facebook friends) true friends that will be there when life sucks, not just when it is good, and more great memories and stories then anyone of use could ever hope for.

RidinHeifer

Friendship...your true friends will support you whether they like livestock or not...and your stock friends won't ignore you when you beat them.

Flexibility...crap happens, we just have to yet through it with all our hairs(plus or minus a few)