South Saskatchewan Storm

Help Support Steer Planet:

uluru

JIT did you or anyone close to you get hit with the freak storm that went thru south Sask in the last couple of days?
Our bulls are fine but I lost one calf, Jim lost two and nieghbours lost quite a few.
Crazy weather. 5' of snow piled up in the trees and lots of rain on already soaked fields.
90km per hour winds.

Clark Club Calves

We got whacked with  a pile of snow and rain again.  Some snow banks are 4 to 5 feet high.  We have lost one calf already and many more have the runs.  One cow that had a 5 day old calf just left it and we had to get it up and put her in the barn and get it sucking again.  We were with out power from Friday at 11 pm to Sunday night 11:30 PM.  It was awful we did not need this.

Clark Club Calves

A Few Pictures of the Storm

Attachments

• During storm.JPG
    During storm.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 155
  • During Storm 2.JPG
    During Storm 2.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 168
  • Going to do Chores.JPG
    Going to do Chores.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 163
  • Tractor.JPG
    Tractor.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 164
  • Inchkeith Road.JPG
    Inchkeith Road.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 157

CAB

Sorry you guys to our north had to get blasted again this late. Man the weather has been wicked in North America lately. No wonder it's so cool here this mornig. There was frost here in SW Iowa this morning, but the sun is out strong & it feels good!!!

justintime

sorry I am so late replying. Our internet was off since the storm. I heard there were over 20 internet towers in SE Sask that were damaged in the storm. We had 5-6 inches of snow here but the winds were the big issue here. 95 km wind in the night. The windows of the house were solid ice on all four sides.The barns had snow hanging from everything, even the rafters. Hopefully this is the last of this stupidity .  15 miles west of here had no snow.

Hilltop

That was the craziest thing ever!!!! We were in Yorkton, Sask. for Spring Steer and Heifer Show and people were talking about this big storm coming..... but you kinda think"yeah.. whatever..it's almost May" and then Friday evening it started to rain and it was relatively warm so I thought ah it"s just gonna be a little shower..... I woke up about 4:30 a.m. and looked out the bathroom window of the motel and couldn"t see a thing... banged on the screen and nothing would fall off the screen... so I opened the outside door!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhh!!!! 6 or 7 " of snow fell into the room and the wind was nasty and snow was blowing into the room!!!! I quickly slammed the door and went back to bed!!!  couldn"t believe it!!! Papa Hilltop had to get back home for the cows and I told him he wouldn"t be going anywhere!! ya right!! couple hrs. later the crazy fool heads out!!!! glad to say that he made it home!!!!but he called back and told us to stay put!!!and we did!!! the judge for the4-H show could not make it for the show Sat. a.m. so a bunch of dads got together and became a three judge panel.... different judges for the steers and heifers....It turned out very well.......the kids had a great time!! needless to say we stayed overnight..got up Sun. a.m. packed up the critters and hit the road.... it was one of the slowest trips we ever made (25 mph)!!! but we drove out of it about 45 miles southwest........ then we made up for lost time!  lol!!! at home the sun was shining and it looked like a very nice day... but the winds whipped things around here the day before too!!!today it looks like spring!!! grass is turning green very fast and the mosquitoes and ticks are out like crazy!!!!!! momma Hilltop