Soy Hulls vs Cottonseed hulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

dutch pride

What are your thoughts or experiences using soy hulls as a replacment for cottonseed hulls in show feeds for both heifers and steers? Up north where I am, we can get soy hulls cheaper and my feed rep claims that they will do just as good of a job. I am always looking for better ways to feed without buying a comercial show feed mix to try to keep cost down for my 4-H's as they have to pay for their animal project and feed themselves.

Dale

In our creep and also finishing ration we have substituted soy hulls for oats.  Results were similar.  We liked pellets, because they are easier to handle (going into feed mixer).  Some cattle may bloat a little on soy hulls--saw something that says cattle may have "distended rumen" when eating soy hulls; you better ask DL or someone else to explain about that.

Ours is a registered herd; however, we have not showed recently.

TJ

Dale said:
In our creep and also finishing ration we have substituted soy hulls for oats.  Results were similar.  We liked pellets, because they are easier to handle (going into feed mixer).  Some cattle may bloat a little on soy hulls--saw something that says cattle may have "distended rumen" when eating soy hulls; you better ask DL or someone else to explain about that.

Ours is a registered herd; however, we have not showed recently.

Soy hulls are more potent than Cotton seed hulls.  Soy hulls are similar to oats as far as the numbers go, but Cotton seed hulls are more of a filler than anything.  My dad feeds pelleted soy hulls & like Dale mentioned, pellets are the way to go.