soybean death?

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

http://www.pal-item.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007710210319

saw this today.  can't believe a vet/pathologist let this out that it was the soybeans, and that it wasn't acididosis or that the reporter just screwed this up.  i saw acidosis first hand switching bulls just coming off pasture and switching to an alafalfa based hay diet in college for a growth challenge.  they bloated in two days and i was tubing 3 or four of them for a few days.  one died.  amazing how fast tubing works.

are soybeans buffered differently than other grains due to fermentation differences from other grains?

knabe

sorry, forgot to add this link as well which offers some historical perspective on soy.  can't vouch for it's accuracy.

CAB

SBM is a very good protien supplement,it is very high in protien content as most of you know, but as to what the article says was accidosis could be a combination of accidosis & the simple fact that soybeans themselves if eaten dry will almost double in size as they get wet. I don't know for sure if the soybean plant being a legume would also contribute to the problem of bloating. Every year cows get into a bin of beans or wagon or something similiar to this and yes it will be fatal quickly if they get into too many.