spastic paresis

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

I had a request for information on spastic paresis . I'm sure that DL can provide some additional insight on it. Also I believe that Chambero has had some recent experience w/ it.

Spastic paresis

Spastic paresis is a progressive unilateral or bilateral hyperextension of the hindlimb(s). It is seen sporadically in most breeds of cattle. Post-legged cattle are most frequently affected. Attempts to move are believed to simultaneously trigger contractions of both extensors and flexors of the limb. Spastic paresis is currently considered to be inherited via a recessive gene(s) with incomplete penetrance.
Clinical Findings:
The disease may be seen within the first 6 mo of life. As the animal ages, the gastrocnemius muscles gradually contract. The hock and stifle become increasingly extended. Over a period of months, the hindlimbs become so stiff that the animal walks with short pendulum-like steps. If only one limb is affected, the animal stands with the affected limb camped back and the sound limb held toward the midline to maintain balance. If both hindlimbs are affected, the animal may attempt to bear more weight on the forelimbs by holding them well back and simultaneously arching its back.

Treatment:
There is no successful medical treatment. Because spastic paresis is heritable, affected animals (especially breeding bulls) should be eliminated from the herd. Palliative surgical treatment may be attempted, although ethical issues should be considered when breeding stock is involved. The procedures, usually performed on calves, include complete tenotomy of the gastrocnemius tendon, which results in a dropped hock; complete tibial neurectomy, which results in sufficient relief to permit a steer to be finished for slaughter; and partial tenectomy of the 2 insertions of the gastrocnemius muscle and the calcanean tendon sheath, which overcomes the problem of the dropped hock.

Attachments

• Spastic Paresis.jpg
    Spastic Paresis.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,022

red

I'm stealing some information that DL had posted on it earlier. Sorry DL for the plagiarism!

My understanding is that there is a genetic component, but it is not a straight forward dominant or recessive trait. Last I knew it was thought to be either recessive trait with incomplete penetrance or multiple recessive genes. This results in the widely variable prenentation of the affected calves - ie some but not all affected, with variable age on onset, severity, etc.

It is also generally believed that spastic paresis is a multifactorial condition - ie other things like environment play a role in the expression of the disease. Also straight legged calves are more likely to develop spastic paresis (and what do they want in the show ring?) and concrete appears to axacerbate the condition.

There is not cure and basically no treatment. Affected animals should not be used for breeding.

DL

DL

I was asked the following question...

Is there a type of SPASTIC PARESIS of the front leg? I have a three day old calf that was fine on day one and two but now when she stands she swings her left front leg like it is just not long enough. I have checked for something in the foot but could not find anything. Could it be footrot already it is quit muddy here? Thanks

To my knowledge there is nohing resembling spastic paresis in the front legs. My primary concern in a calf that was fine on day 1 and 2 but not now is TRAUMA, either being stepped on by the dam or other cow or trauma related to being a little guy running around in the mud. Foot rot in a baby is real low on my list and should not cause the foot/leg to swing out.

If I was you I would examine the calf starting with the shoulders and down to the foot - put your hands on both sides at the same time - it should feel the same - look/ feel for differences, areas of swelling, heat, etc. Fractures (broken bones), nerve damage, strains and sprains could cause what you are seeing. I would be particularly concerned to rule out a broken bone - when a leg bone is broken the muscles contract and the limb looks shorter - you might want to call your vet. In any event tell us what you find when you examine the calf.....Good luck, DL (cow) (cow) (cow) (cow)

cowz

Have you identified any bloodlines noted for spastic paresis???   A local gal had a steer last year that did not make it to the fair because of s.p.  It was also very fine boned in relation to its frame score.  It was out of a gold spike son.  Sometimes selection for "pretty traits" instead of "functional traits" ends up with something that doesnt cut it.

DL

cowz - I am not aware of any particular lines of cattle more prone to spastic paresis but the straight legged-big butted-bred for the show ring seem to be more prone to the affliction....function be darned , lets make  'em pretty! (cow)

red

I've heard some Heatseeker/Heatwave lines. We had a Gold Club heifer that developed it.

Red

frostback

Here is a update on the heifer with the bad leg. I took her to the vet and the first thing he said was that" it lookes like SPASTIC PARESIS but that dosnt happen in the front legs"
So then he felt around and could not find anything so we are in the wait and see mode. He said that she may grow out of it or if it is a greenline fracture it may heel. It is too far up on the leg or in the shoulder itself to do anything other than keep her in a smaller pen and and keep her healthy. Ill update if anything changes. Frostback

red

Thanks for letting us know Frostback. Good luck & keep us updated!

Red