spaying heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

frostback

Not sure that the title is the right way to phrase that, and if it is wrong I am sure someone will point it out. Anyway how do vets spay heifers? Got a Heatwave heifer my daughter fell in love with but there is no more room at the in, especially for one with that breeding and spaying her would eliminate her coming in heat and "the please can we keep her" fight all year.Frostie

cowcrazy

I watched a vet doing it to a whole herd of heifers.  All he did was put them in the chute, shave an area about one foot by one foot. He scrubbed it and then made an incision about 6 to 8 inches long on the side of the heifer about 2/3 of the way up from it's belly and slightly towards the flank.  He put his hand in, pulled out the ovary on each side, put a couple staples in and was done.

frostback

What did he staple? The incision or the ovary? Dont like the idea of two scares on the sides.

cowcrazy

He removed both ovaries from the incision he made on her left side and then put the staples in on her side to close the cut.  I don't know if it would affect the ability to show the heifer.   

JWW

find a vet that has and/or knows how to use the Kimblering-Rupp device to spay heifers, it not very invasive at all and is pretty quick

JWW

BCCC

JWW said:
find a vet that has and/or knows how to use the Kimblering-Rupp device to spay heifers, it not very invasive at all and is pretty quick

JWW
Our ranch in Nebraska does it too all of the feed yard heifers. Haven't seen it done when I was old enough to remember what was going on, but they have always done alot better in the feed yard.

BCCC

Normally average around 85-100lbs heavier on the same date as no-spayed heifers, or be ready to send to town up to a month earlier. Think they normally do it around 7-8 months.

dori36

JWW said:

JWW

I helped on a ranch in Cody, WY, when they had their Vet spay with that device.  It sort of looks like a crochet hook/needle except instead of a hook end, it has a big eye and it's longer, obviously, than a real crochet hook.  They put 'em in the chute and used one arm in the rectum and the other guiding the device in vaginally, sort of like you would ai'ing.  If the Vet is good at it, he/she (it was a 'she' in this case) guides the ovaries, one at a time, into the eye, gives a little twist, and pulls the tissue out through the vagina.  Then repeats the process for the other ovary.  If done correctly, it only takes a couple of minutes, involves no incision and seemed pretty easy on the heifers.  This particular bunch were between 500 and 600 lbs.  

kanshow

We have had pasture heifers done with that device too.  They sure do gain better and no worries about coming in heat & attracting every bull within a 20 mile radius.  I have always thought that if we end up with a market heifer that this would be the only way to go.

CAB

They don't have to use staples. They would stitch a show heifer up. 7/8 months would be an ideal age to get it done. We have had it done for market heifer customers B4.

CJC

I don't know about it's use on cows, But on horses they sometimes use a marble to keep them from cycling. The marble is used to make them think they are pregnant.