Spring Club Calf Sales

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowman

OK I gotta ask.

Why in the world would you buy a club calf at only 2-3 months of age?? Right now they are all fluff, and still really only showing you a glimpse of what they are going to turn into. I know the good ones are always good, but some less desirable traits are harder for most people to judge now (maybe this is the reason for a super early sale?), and it just all seems way too premature.

Why would you want the expense/risk of feeding the calf an extra 3-6 months? Why not wait and see if the calf 1) can still walk in 3 months 2) has any hair left after summer 3) is still healthy 4) started on feed well 5) Actually has some growth 6) the list goes on........

Why???    ???

The Show

Bc people will buy them at 2-3 months bc they are fluffy and look good and the breeder probably knows that they aren't going to turn out so they sell them early while they can still make some money on them.

bcosu

you can also get a good buy on one. if you are going to try and jockey a few then buy some green ones early give them some feed and care then hopefully you can sell them for more later. we bought a heifer out of a spring sale last year and haven't been disappointed by her yet. she will make an excellent cow.

mandl

you know most places your not picking the calf up as soon as you buy it most will keep them on the cow until summer, at least a good breeder.  I think if you know what your looking for you can find some really good buys in the spring.  We have a fall sale because i think the calves will sell better in the fall, but at the same time i think if your careful and pay attention a spring sale is a good thing not everyone can have a fall sale.  And the biggest reason to have a spring sale theres a good market for it.

Ric

A lot of people that buy early are buying to resell them to make a profit. They are a risk to buy at an early age because there is no gurantee they will develop like you hope. On the other side to that if you take the risk in buying the calf and it turns out the return for selling one is usually be pretty nice.

cytime

because to get ur hands on some of these great calves you have to take the risk on um when they are young and still in a price range where you can make a profit on um.. You have a 50/50 chance that they will turn out.. Thats why if u think the calf is a 5000 dollar calf in sept or october u only spend 2500 on um now..

The Show

You know I didn't think of it, but I just bought a calf last week at a spring sale but she was 5 months old.

shortdawg

cowman said:
OK I gotta ask.

Why in the world would you buy a club calf at only 2-3 months of age?? Right now they are all fluff, and still really only showing you a glimpse of what they are going to turn into. I know the good ones are always good, but some less desirable traits are harder for most people to judge now (maybe this is the reason for a super early sale?), and it just all seems way too premature.

Why would you want the expense/risk of feeding the calf an extra 3-6 months? Why not wait and see if the calf 1) can still walk in 3 months 2) has any hair left after summer 3) is still healthy 4) started on feed well 5) Actually has some growth 6) the list goes on........

Why???    ???

You can not buy that calf and have it handed to you in the show ring by that same calf come fall. We buy ours in Jan. most of the time and pick them up in late March or early April. I like to look at them in Sept. and then again in Dec. or Jan. If they are good it will show.

cowman

shortdawg said:
cowman said:
OK I gotta ask.

Why???    ???

You can not buy that calf and have it handed to you in the show ring by that same calf come fall. We buy ours in Jan. most of the time and pick them up in late March or early April. I like to look at them in Sept. and then again in Dec. or Jan. If they are good it will show.

FYI I was only referring to Spring born calves being sold now, so a Feb born calf being sold in April.