Spring Fishing

Help Support Steer Planet:

jason

Anyone having any luck? What are you fishing for?  It seems the water still isn't warm enough for a good bite in Kansas.  I have been bass fishing in a couple of our ponds and a small lake waiting for those momma bass to start spawning.

AAOK

Ah, another fisherman.......and both KU/K-State basketball fans.

So far I've only dabbled.  Same here; the water is still about 5 degrees short of where  I was raised a Black Bass fisherman, but have always had great access to Lake Texoma (the world's best Striper lake).  I bacame absolutely addicted to Striped Bass fishing in the early '80s.  I was so hooked that I even considered becomming a full time Striper Guide.  We have a place on Texoma where I can bank fish and have the possibliity of catching trophy sized Striper, and Smallmouth on artificial baits.  I used to love pond and watershed fishing from my float tube, but now I'm a lake man, still primaraliy searching for Stripers.  They are just such an exciting fish to fight.

farmboy

Sittin on a lake or river at midnight waitin for ur reel to start screamin is awsome, especially when its a 40 lb catfish  (clapping) (clapping)

jason

AAOK said:

Ah, another fisherman.......and both KU/K-State basketball fans.

So far I've only dabbled.  Same here; the water is still about 5 degrees short of where  I was raised a Black Bass fisherman, but have always had great access to Lake Texoma (the world's best Striper lake).  I bacame absolutely addicted to Striped Bass fishing in the early '80s.  I was so hooked that I even considered becomming a full time Striper Guide.  We have a place on Texoma where I can bank fish and have the possibliity of catching trophy sized Striper, and Smallmouth on artificial baits.  I used to love pond and watershed fishing from my float tube, but now I'm a lake man, still primaraliy searching for Stripers.  They are just such an exciting fish to fight.

I would love to go striper fishing, I know they can get big.  What is the biggest striper that you have caught?

AAOK

Jason,
I have caught 3 Stripers 18+; the largest, 20 lbs. even.  All three were caught with Topwater baits.  The two 18s were caught while fishing from the bank.  You and some buddies should plan a trip sometime.  I would offer to assist, but I don't have the opportunity to go like I used to.  I can recommend a guide or two.  They keep getting bigger boats, which are making it more affordable.  Most can now take out up to 5 at a time for $100 each.  The best time for BIG fish is May and June.  The guides fish about 90% of the time with live shad. 

shorthorns r us

caught a 16# texoma striper on a zara spook when i was a kid.  just like i had watched jimmy houston do it on tv just a few weeks b4.  that was mega-cool for this guy at 14.

Rustynail

It is still to cold for bass in Utah too, but the trout don't mind the chill. My boys are happy about that.

0406081649.jpg

garybob

Taneycomo is only 25 minutes due North of Daddy's place in Carroll County, Arkansas. You're making me homesick! I hear the White Bass are 'running', now.

GB

sawboss

We have a place on lake Sam Rayburn about 10 minutes from our sawmill that is the back waters of the Angelina River, we have out lines and are tearing the catfish up.  We mainly catch blues but have caught four flatheads or Ops as we call them.  My father-in-law fishes Toledo Bend and averages about 150-200 lbs. per trip.  The fishing is great through May then the water gets too hot, if you come in this area give me a shout I'll show you how the country boys fish.

Davis Shorthorns

Just gettin ready to do some fishin up here.  Just trying to get time to go out.  Been to busy around the house the last few weeks.  I have heard that the Eyes and white bass are startin to bite around here on the river.

jason

sawboss said:
We have a place on lake Sam Rayburn about 10 minutes from our sawmill that is the back waters of the Angelina River, we have out lines and are tearing the catfish up.  We mainly catch blues but have caught four flatheads or Ops as we call them.  My father-in-law fishes Toledo Bend and averages about 150-200 lbs. per trip.  The fishing is great through May then the water gets too hot, if you come in this area give me a shout I'll show you how the country boys fish.

My dad grew up with a river in his backyard, he had told me all the stories of big flatheads.  I am going to try to spend sometime this year fishing for cats.  I am not big fish eater, but catfish isn't too bad.

Dusty

zach said:
Sittin on a lake or river at midnight waitin for ur reel to start screamin is awsome, especially when its a 40 lb catfish  (clapping) (clapping)

I like fishing like that too... Except I have a tendency to fall asleep while I'm fishing that late at night so now whenever i do that i let about 3 feet of line out and then wrap it around my big toe.  I've found that's usually enough to wake me up when a cat runs with bait.

AAOK

Went down to Texoma this week to check out the storm damage; lots of boats upside down in Soldier Creek.  Our boat and slip were fine except that five Boat Houses were shoved together be the wind, and I can't get my boat out until everything is moved back into position.

Ours is the Red & White in the first picture.  The news said this was a small tornado, but observers said it was a 12'-15' wave.
SoldierCreek425081.jpg

SoldierCreek425082.jpg