Spring Heifer calf Judging Class 2010: Volume 2

Help Support Steer Planet:

stumpy

We had a fun time with this last year so I thought it might be good to give it another try. This year we will have a mixed class of Shorthorn and Shorthorn Plus spring born heifers, two of each. Place them how you like, there are no wrong answers! Have fun.

Attachments

• 005 social web.jpg
    005 social web.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 254
  • Bonnie web.jpg
    Bonnie web.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 254
  • Stardust WEB.jpg
    Stardust WEB.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 263
  • snow angel web.jpg
    snow angel web.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 252

caldanmc

stumpy said:
We had a fun time with this last year so I thought it might be good to give it another try. This year we will have a mixed class of Shorthorn and Shorthorn Plus spring born heifers, two of each. Place them how you like, there are no wrong answers! Have fun.

My evaluation of this high quality pen of Shorthorn influenced heifers is 2-4-3-1.  I identified the redneck roan as the most complete and fault free female in the pen.  She is a deep ribbed, heavy muscled heifer who has a tremendous amount of appeal when viewed on the side.  When comparing her to the white heifer, I particularly admire how her neck blends more smoothly into the top of her should.  Additionally, she carries her muscle deeper into her quarter. Without argument, the white heifer is more elongated in her neck, but she doesn't come together quite as nicely at the top of her shoulder, and she is more shallow through her stifle, so I select her second.

Still, I would load her before the blue heifer due to her over all quality.  Not only is she longer fronted, but she appears to be more nearly level out of her hip, which should allow her a longer stride when on the move.  I do appreciate the overall muscularity of the blue roan female, and do admit that she ties deeper into her quarter when viewed on the side, but she is a shorter fronted female that is lower in her pin setting, so I would buy her third.

However, when selecting for a replacement female, I would keep her before the red heifer.  My reason for this is due to her decided advantage in muscularity.  She appears to have more shape down her top and hip, and carries more expression of muscle into the base of her quarter.  In addition to this, she is stouter in her bone work.  Without question, the red heifer is the deepest ribbed female in the pen, and her over all smoothness and correctness make her very easy to like.  But after much consideration, I find her to have the least to offer in terms of true muscle shape and volume.  Along with this, she is the frailest made in her bone work, so I would select her last.

Just my oppinion...nice set of heifers.

rtmcc

Paint them any color you want, that #4 hfr is cool.
I like them to look cool and make cows so I would place them 4-2-1-3

Ron
<cowboy>

cowz

Mr. Stumpy....you have been so quiet lately!

Nice, nice set of heifers.  I like each one for a different reason individually.  Almost impossible to sort without seeing them on the move!

Aussie

Good hfrs I will go with Ron on the top two. Four is a nice thick hfr while still being femine. Two sweet looking hfr slightly over powered by 4. Three a bit more complete and better put together than 1.One I don't like her shoulder that much. 4-2-3-1

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

I dunno i need to see them on the move. Those shoulder designs look good maybe a bit pinched. 4 is just freaky fronted, long term 4 is a beast, but right now this is how i see them

SFASUshowman

I like them 4-2-3-1...the white heifer may give up some muscle expression to the pair that follows her, but she is the longest, cleanest fronted heifer of the class and in my opinion is the broodiest of the class, when I got to her pictured I couldnt help thinking this is what a female is supposed to look like...I find the middle pair of roan type heifers to be very similar in their muscle design, which is arguably more expressive than the white heifer on top of the class.and I think the red roan heifer follows the white heifer pretty nicely and would be more competitive with her if she carried more depth of body and a touch more circumfrance of bone, but she sorts over the blue heifer as she is a cleaner fronted more refined individual, though the blue heifer looks to stand on more bone substance. In the bottom pair I think the blue heifer easily sorts herself over the solid red heifer as a more powerful,better balance, and more complete individual...the red heifer, while appearing to be a quality individual, just doesnt posses the overall eye appeal, cleanness of lines, length of hip, or balance to move further up in this class today.

This is just my opinion and its hard to make a sound judgement based solely on a side profile photo, but thats the way I see em

mooch

From the Pics #1 looks to be big time. Have problems with the pinched heart and lack of shoulder slope that #  4  has. So I guess I ain't seeing her like every one else is . Probably would see them in person and evaluate them completely different though.

cahiltang

The way it breaks down to me is 3 cattle with body one needs more.  1 hits me as the maternal, broody lookin one with a great skeleton underneath her and she still feminine and attractive.  I like whitey next another bold bodied, good lookin female touch bolder shouldered, tighter in her fore-rib, more bone and and stoutness to her.  Then 3, blue roan heifer, again like her body shape and look up front maybe could be set back a bit further in her shoulder, looks like she uses her leg better than 2.  Red Neck Roan heifer really good to look at, square, stout, look bold ribbed could be softer for me in her fore-rib and flank and looks to be a bit straight in her rear leg, but still has value for some with her look and stoutness.  That is the way I see them for what it is worth.  1-4-3-2

Aussie

(lol)For all the people that complain about judges on this site they only have to look here. One persons opinion is different to the next.

Latest posts