SS Gold Mine L142

Help Support Steer Planet:

Sundy

I was just wondering if anyone has used a bull called SS Gold Mine L142 and what they thought. Calving ease, phenotype, growth, etc.?

Cowboy

If this is the SIMMI bull SS Goldmine, I have 2 of them getting ready to calve as 2 year olds. These two were from Maine hfrs, in the 80's range, no problem with either one.

As of today, they are the BEST 2 from the 07 crop of hfrs we kept. Look to be really feminine -- plenty of muscle at the right places, and are making really nice udders -- due in less than 2 weeks.

Gentle, could use some hair but have plenty for the way they're bred. Both are nice fronted -- deep bodied at this point -- meybe a tad short of bone, but not for females -- these were not bred to be clubby steers -- they were intended to be hfrs and I am glad. I really like them both so far.

Terry

inthebarnagain

We have used him 4 times, the first 3 were bulls that were nice calves, but nothing spectacular.  Apparently the 4th one is goldmine all over, she is the heifer in my avatar.  She is out of a BIG rangy cow that always has the tallest calves.  This heifer is short, thick and a tank.  She can gain weight looking at food, my kind of heifer. 

We were stalled next to a guy at the NAILE who has seen Goldmine in person.  He said they were in a 15 passenger van taking a pasture tour, Goldmine walked up to the van and had to stretch to reach the bottom of the window so if he happens to click right, he can really take the frame away from one, like our heifer. 

In all honesty though I would have to say his calves aren't consistent because you couldn't have looked at the 4 calves and thought they were out of the same bull.  But I do love my heifer!

CAB

Sundy, Goldmine will moderate frame, have good udders not a lot of hair but won't take hair away. Structure will be good. Calves very easy. I also like his son ACCI Hustler, he will put on bone hair, add length of body and I think that he is the # 1 bull for calving ease in the SM breed right now. We have some coming this spring. SVF leased Hustler in the fall of 07, which says something about Hustler. IMO. Brent

kanshow

We have a mob of Goldmine calves on the ground this spring.    We AI'd most of our heifers to him this year because he is such a consistant calving ease sire.  Those calves are itty bitty when they come out - our BW's have been anywhere from 60 - 75#.    Then give them a couple weeks and they get stout.  I don't think they'll blow any growth records and the EPD spread isn't very good when you plug him in as the sire.    Our decision to use him is that we can get live calves on the ground.    I've seen a lot of heifers from him and have really liked them... feminine, clean, moderate framed females.    I guess the only downside to our using him is that we've only gotten one heifer.. the rest have all been bulls..   

CAB

Sundy, I liked your red blazed faced foundation Simi heifer that you had @ the expo. She looks like she'll make a great cow. Brent

LinZ

My 2 cents on Goldmine..kina late but better than never..

Super calving ease..calves come small and easy

No growth at all... Very dissapointed with how his calves grew(out of purebred simmy cows)

Not much hair

Moderate framed..

I would not reccomend using him..

If you're looking for calving ease while still keeping growth I would suggest MO better..good pedigree as well and will throw that nice white face!

Linz

Sundy

Thanks Brent! I really appreciate the compliment and I am also hoping she makes a nice cow. Her mother does an excellent job and I am hoping she comes back TH free when we get around to testing her. Although I do wish she had better hair. That good old Simmental hair is pretty prominent in her. Brent, have you started calving yet?

CAB

I sure don't think that we need anymore hair on the cows here in Iowa for those hot humid days in July/August. I think our first one is due the 19th of March. I just don't have the facilities to calf earlier than that. Brent

ROAD WARRIOR

CAB said:
  I sure don't think that we need anymore hair on the cows here in Iowa for those hot humid days in July/August. I think our first one is due the 19th of March. I just don't have the facilities to calf earlier than that. Brent

What part of Iowa are you in if you don't mind me asking?

CAB

I don't mind RW. I would like to meet you sometime. I live approx. 4 miles N of Corning, Ia,SW, Ia. I know that we need hair, but man I hate deeling with it and feel bad for some of the cows during the heat of summer. Stop in if you are ever in the area. What is your closest town? Brent

ROAD WARRIOR

I'm East of you on the other side of the state, about 1/2 way between ottumwa and burlington south of hiway 34. I often describe it as that part of Iowa that hangs down that neither Ill. or Mo. wanted. RW

Latest posts