Stabilized Rice Bran & Power fuel

Help Support Steer Planet:

Currently we are feeding our steer
                            25lbs Honor Show Chow Finisher
                              6lbs pre-con
                            12oz Power fuel
                              2oz Red Cell
                            Good grass hay
  My question is this we are about 3 and a half month away from fair, we want to start/ continue adding fat and possible add muscle. So I've had people recommend the Stabilized Rice Bran to help do that. Should we keep feeding power fuel as well or is that to much energy? the steer currently weighs 1050 and we would like to be around 1250 I think. I can post a pic if anyone would like to see the calf. Thank you!!

bulldawg

I would think you could cut out the PreCon and do either the Rice Bran or the Power Fuel. Not both. We feed commercial steers for HLSR and County Fair steers and have had success with a good finishing ration consisting of 43% Corn and then supplementing with Sure Champ and Power Fuel at the end to get that last bit of finish that we needed. On the commercial steers we've had good results with finishing at an avg. of 1274 lbs with a 6.33/1 rate of gain and a 4.3 lbs ADG and all calves Grading Choice 2's or 3's.

mbigelow

If I am doing the math right you want the steer to gain 200 lbs in the next 90 days + or-.  You are currently feeding 32 lbs of feed a day and at that rate with a 8:1 conversion I would expect about 4lbs of daily gain, putting you at 360 lbs total by fair.  Chechnya what you have been feeding for the last month and see if he is gaining at the rate described and adjust accordingly.  As for the rice bran I would feed it and remove pre-con and power fuel.  Switch him slowly.  Good luck