Stabilized Rice Bran Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

DEA

For those that use it, do you feel that it works better 30,60,90 or 120 days out from you target show or is it more effective to feed it throughhout the entire feeding period - start to fiinish ????  I was given a bag of it to try as a fat additive  and I didn't know the best way to gain the most benefit from it.  Our target show is late July to early August.  Do you topdress or mix it?

vc

I would say it depends on your animals needs, if the calf could use the fat now start feeding it. You can feed it the entire time if you would like, it will not hurt them. Calves that are a little behind or harder doing will benefit from it. If you think the calf might be one that fattens up early you might hold off until the last 60 days and use it to smooth them out at the end, calves that you know you are going to need to pushed, I would feed it to them the whole time.

We fed it the last 90 days to get a good smooth layer of cover on them, but these calves were on track the whole time.

We fed it as a top dress at a pound a feeding. It is good for the hair and skin as well.

SlickTxMaine

Agree with vc.  We usually feed last 60 days at 1 lb per feeding.  Really like the way it lays down the cover. 

vc

Most feed stores carry it, it is a horse supplement. It comes in a powder or pellet, I have not seen a calf that does not like it.

SlickTxMaine

I get mine at Tractor Supply.  It's around $22. for a 40 lb bag.  It is a fat supplement for race horses - so look for a horse on the bag.  Our calves have always seemed to like the meal better than the pellets, however they are eating pellets now, because TS was out of the meal!!  If your TS does not have it in stock, as them to start carrying it.  Most of them in our area carry it.