Stabilized Rice Bran?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cattle7

Here a lot of people talkin about this in their rations. I would like to know what it does? Or what it helps add? Thanks.

SFASUshowman

Stabilized Rice Bran is an excellent source of energy. So its basically gonna do the same thing as corn, only better in most peoples opinions. It will add finish and cover to your calves.  I dont know from my experience that it necesarily added the finish faster, but the calves I finished with rice bran definately had a much smoother finish and handled a lot better.

SlickTxMaine

Ditto to above: much smoother finish, and I feel like we see results faster with the SRB. 

steelroom

I get mine at a Tractor Supply. The only problem is it is not pelleted, but that does not seem to matter. They still slick up the feeder.

AAOK

Cattle7 said:
Here a lot of people talkin about this in their rations. I would like to know what it does? Or what it helps add? Thanks.

Very High Fat = Finish and Hair Coat
Stimulates a natural occurring Steroid = Muscle
Breaks down in the stomachs differently from sugars; Corn, Oats, etc. = energy without attitude

Primarily fed to Race Horses = Energy without attitude

jrod

what is the brand name of it? or is that the name of it ? and who makes it?

GoWyo

Max E Glo and Nutrena Empower Boost -- both horse feeds, but contain 18% and 22% fat, respectively.  Have not found anything with a higher fat percentage except for Power Fuel, but it is more expensive for the amount of fat that you get.  Steers definitely have a glow to them that we have not previously had.

Got some Glu Coat the other day.  It seems to be molasses and water for 4x the price of a 5 gallon pail of molasses.  Is there more to it than that?  Not sure if I am impressed with it yet.

jrod

ok when i feed this do i keep putting the corn and barley in r take it out

SlickTxMaine

The ration we used this past year contained corn and barley, and at the end to add finish we added a little more barley and the SRB.  Bought the Max E Glo at tractor supply.  I found some of the stores carry the pellets, and some just the meal.  I think the calves seem to like the meal better than the pellets, and the meal is a couple of bucks a bag cheaper than the pellets.  We added 1lb per feeding for the last 2 months.  Great hair coat, but best of all, great smooth finish.  Our show is slick, so we have to clip all that nice hair off anyway. :(

SFASUshowman

I keep the corn and barley in and just add the SRB as a supplement basically.  Corn, Barley, Rice, Oats are all grains. So what you get from all of them is basically the same, starch. Which their body converts to energy, and the body stores energy as fat. The difference in the grains comes in how many kilocalories of energy they contain and how easy they are to break down.  You wouldnt want to remove the corn and barley from the diet because you would break the bank trying to balance the diet with SRB. We keep corn in there to provide most of the energy they need because corn is the cheapest, then we add the barley and SRB as a supplement to boost it because they are more expensive.

CAB

Called our closest TSC and the price was $22.50 /40lbs., but they don't have it on hand. Salesman said to give them @ least 1 week's notice, but weeks notice would be better. That was for the Max-E-Glow product.

SlickTxMaine

SFASUshowman said:
I keep the corn and barley in and just add the SRB as a supplement basically.  Corn, Barley, Rice, Oats are all grains. So what you get from all of them is basically the same, starch. Which their body converts to energy, and the body stores energy as fat. The difference in the grains comes in how many kilocalories of energy they contain and how easy they are to break down.  You wouldnt want to remove the corn and barley from the diet because you would break the bank trying to balance the diet with SRB. We keep corn in there to provide most of the energy they need because corn is the cheapest, then we add the barley and SRB as a supplement to boost it because they are more expensive.

Very good info!!

CAB; that price is what I pay for the meal at my TSC.  It may seem a little pricey, but  you're only feeding 2-3 lbs. a day, so it will last you about 2-3 wks.

SFASUshowman

I have never had it hurt the hair coat...healthy cattle will have healthy hair. As with anytime you increase the energy intake you run a risk of shedding some hair.  I think because its stabilized and easier to break down it doesnt seem to make them quiet as "hot" as corn does. But its basically the same nutrients going into them so you scientifically still have the risk of that happen.  But putting cover down is a lot like growing hair.  Keep them out of direct light as much as possible and keep fans on them to keep them cool. Just like shorter days and cooler temps signal their body to grow more hair for the winter, it also signals their body to store fat for the winter.  If they are hot and their body thinks its summertime their body is more apt to shed fat and hair in an effort to cool itself.

Cattle7

is this safe to feed to heifers [gonna be cows after show season] & a show bull [without ruining his semen]

SFASUshowman

Yes this is safe for heifers and bulls, I dont use as much with heifers and bulls though because we dont typically want them as fat. Getting a bull to fat can actually reduce his semen quality, so watch that.

I typically mix everything when I feed.  I know a lot of things say top dress, but it is gonna work the same whether its top dressed or mixed and I find that I have less picky eaters if I just mix everything.  If I start top dressing something new a lot of times calves will push it aside or turn the feed pan over and then you have wasted that money. So I just go ahead and mix everything as a rule of thumb.