Stall/barn set up

Help Support Steer Planet:

Kailee TheKool

Hey everybody! I'm currently trying to figure out a setup for my calves to keep hair on this summer without disrupting the rest of my family and friends who keep calves at our place. For reference, we have a 20x50 foot run-in shed. All but basically a 12x16 ish foot square is being used, and I'd like to use this 12x 16 foot square to my advantage. I have panels and everything needed to set up a stall, but do I have a lot of questions about this. Will this actually help keep hair on? It would keep them in the shade 24/7. Can I keep the two of them in the stall together at all times or do I need to turn out in the dry lot with the bigger group at night? Should I keep them tied up in the stall together and just untie them at night if at all? Should I be keeping it bedded down or would it be fine with just poo being mucked out every day? Is that cramped for them? And last question, would an indoor box fan be appropriate to have on them during the day or is that unsafe? Thanks for any help and/or other ideas to make it more efficiently set up!

vc

They need to get out at night, we had our steers in a stall during the day with fans running, calves were tied fans running from behind, if you have a gfi, and the calves can not get to the fans they should be fine. We kicked the calves out at dark into a large run, they need to get out and move. We had a solid bed of cedar fiber in the stall and a stomp mat.

Kailee TheKool

They need to get out at night, we had our steers in a stall during the day with fans running, calves were tied fans running from behind, if you have a gfi, and the calves can not get to the fans they should be fine. We kicked the calves out at dark into a large run, they need to get out and move. We had a solid bed of cedar fiber in the stall and a stomp mat.
Awesome. So we apparently don't have a 16 foot panel and it'll have to by 12x12 now, would that still be adequate space for them if they're getting turned out? At the moment they won't be, but once it warms up in April/May and on they'll be out at night and maybe for a few hours during the afternoon while I'm working our horses.

Kailee TheKool

Also, I was reading somewhere that you wet down cedar fiber, would I do the same if I'm just using regular pine shavings?

vc

Yes, you wet and pack the fiber down, but you also have to make sure and do it daily and muck it out every time you are there. It is imperative that you remove the manure often.

Kailee TheKool

Yes, you wet and pack the fiber down, but you also have to make sure and do it daily and muck it out every time you are there. It is imperative that you remove the manure often.
Awesome, thank you!