Stampede champion steer disqualified

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bradenh

Dissapointing- had my hopes up that they would make it count and fail it with him on some good stuff  <rock> <rock> (thumbsup)

Charguy

What a crock - best steer won. The vet told the young men it was fine. We all use Banamine.

I feel really bad for these young cattlemen. To have something taken away like that is wrong. They earned and deserved it. Very unfortunate politics creaps into deals like this one

rmbcows

According to the Stampede list of exhibitor rules: “Any products/solutions/liquids administered internally to alter the conformation or weight of the animal is prohibited.”

If that's the rule I don't see where they can disqualify the calf.  Banamine doesn't alter conformation or weight. 

This stinks to high heaven of something crooked going on.  Hope the vet at least stands up and admits he said it was OK and doesn't squirm out of his responsibility in all of this. 

Judge

That's to ad kids steer wow air and square now he will loose the money and the res will get it , they should have said no that's no way to win

rackranch

What am I missing here?  People are coming to the defense of a steer that won shot up with a pain killer.  Fair and square? You don't believe it gave the steer an advantage.  It would most certainly help the steer travel more sound in the ring.  Last I checked, soundness was something the judge looks for.  Someone said, ''we all use Banamine", and why do you use it? To help your steer feel more comfortable and travel more freely?  Most of the time, yes.  It is the Families responsible to know the rules for the show and to follow them as such.  They got caught breaking the rules.  The only way I can see where they are not at fault is if the Vet worked for the show board and told them it was alright.  Other than that, there is no gray area.

knabe

So why not just list the drugs not to use.

The rules and enforcement sound grey.

And you can't take home your own steer with grey rules and inconsistent enforcement?

rackranch

There are a lot of drugs out there. To many to list all or to know who's gonna try to use what.  Some people use meds for horses or pigs, ect.  People know right from wrong and should make the right choices.  Especially when their children are involved.  Like I said if the Vet gave them permission and did not clear it through the show superintendent there is a problem. I would think if everything was on the up and up the Vet would have given the drug himself in the presence of the show superintendent.  Why would the Vet not give the shot himself??

knabe said:
So why not just list the drugs not to use.

The rules and enforcement sound grey.

And you can't take home your own steer with grey rules and inconsistent enforcement?

justintime

I don't see anything grey here at all. The steer was on the pain killer Banamine, which does give this steer an advantage. It is a drug with a withdrawal time before slaughter. The owners say that they were told to give this steer banamine by the show vetrinarian, and if this was the case, it should be him who the authorities are coming down hard on, and they maybe should get another vet for the show.
As far as comment to those who say they use it all the time at shows, I would suggest that this is totally wrong and it should be stopped. If the Calgary steer had been sent to slaughter immediately I suspect this would be an even bigger deal, and that may be why he was standing after the show at a farm near Calgary. I think it is time people man up and start to do the ethical thing.

knabe

So why not start with a list of drugs people use to get an advantage.

There can't possibly be more than 100.

One could also list ones that are ok.

The list could be put on the show website.

Very simple.

knabe

justintime said:
If the Calgary steer had been sent to slaughter immediately I suspect this would be an even bigger deal.

this is exactly why i don't purchase animals at shows to support the industry.  there is no testing/verification infrastructure on the rest of the animals.

test all the animals that go through the sale for the same thing and enforce the same discipline.

obie105

knabe said:
justintime said:
If the Calgary steer had been sent to slaughter immediately I suspect this would be an even bigger deal.

this is exactly why i don't purchase animals at shows to support the industry.  there is no testing/verification infrastructure on the rest of the animals.

test all the animals that go through the sale for the same thing and enforce the same discipline.

I agree. I will not buy a show animal to eat. Same reasons

Judge

I bet half those animals are on pain killers and besides IT WAS VET APPROVED at the show

rmbcows

Remember we are talking about a show in Canada, correct?  I'm guessing rules aren't the same as here.  If the one line that was quoted in the article about not using any substance that changes weight or conformation, I don't see where that's a rule against Banamine at all.  Is there a rule about drugs with withdrawl times?  How many calves show with antibiotics in their system?  They have a much longer withdrawl than banamine. 
I'm just saying if the rules aren't anymore clear than what was quoted, and I ASKED a show vet and got permission... I would absolutely walk into the show ring feeling like I hadn't so much as bent a rule.  Maybe my conscience is flawed, but that's my two cents.

chambero

In Texas, steers arent allowed to show at our terminal majors with any drugs in their system that have withdrawals, including antibiotics and antiinflammatories.

Banamine helps one a lot that is hurting when their legs start to give out.  I'm gonna guess the show talked to their vet and clarified what was said exactly.  In Tx, you can go to the show vet to get treatment, but if he has to treat with a drug like that you can't show.  I suspect its same way up there if it was a terminal show.

BTDT

I do not know the rules in Canada. And it would be helpful if the FULL rule book was read and not just one line. That being said:
Banamine is under scrutiny in the US due to its abuse and misuse.  Withdrawl time, regardless of country, has not been established if the drug is given IM, or Sub Q. Only IV use is approved with a withdrawl time. 
Banamine definitely gives an animal an advantage, that is the purpose of the drug.
Even if a vet prescribe the product, it is no excuse, as the exhibitor is responsible for knowing the rules and following them.

Listing the forbidden drugs would be fruitless. Because there would always be a drug someone would find or come up with and use it, then use the excuse "but it is not on the list". Heck, it would be human drugs, PED's, equine drugs, etc.  Maybe they should do the opposite, and list the drug(s) that ARE allowed, which would be a very short list indeed, especially if it is a terminal show.

The excuse of "everyone is doing it" about makes me ill. The problem with this country is there are too many FOLLOWERS and not enough LEADERS. I would like to think that people would not do something just because someone told them to: Would you hit a baby because someone told you to? Would you jump in front of a semi if someone told you to? Would you steal someone's show equipment if someone told you to? 
Please be your own person and do whatever you want to do because YOU feel it is best for you. And then make sure you take full credit, regardless of it is good or bad. 

Also, please keep in mind that cheaters generally hang around other cheaters. I have recently heard of two families that have totally went of the deep in (IMO) and now people are avoiding them because they do not want to be associated with them. One family has a very successful business in the cattle industry and it is in serious jeopardy. Honest people do not want to be caught hanging around and being friends with liars, cheaters, and rule breakers. Remember, its YOUR decision, YOUR life, and YOU will be the one that has to deal with the consequences. Make sure you're willing to pay the price.

Charguy

So now Im a cheater.

Give me a break. You are going to tell me you have never used Banamine on a show calf before?

The youth in question did a heck of a lot of work, had a hell of a steer who happened to come up a little lame the day before the show. They consulted with the onsite vet about what they could do to help their project out. The vet said to use banamine - it was fine. Why should these young men be punished for doing something they were told was ok?

Its total bs. I assume Calgary will re-write the rules now and be more specific. As the rules stand right now (which are vague), this is the equivalent of a major league baseball player taking an Advil for a sore shoulder. Not the same as a baseball player using a performance enhancing drug. Get your heads out of the sand. There was no crime committed here other then a couple of good young men getting a cheque ripped out of their hand that they deserved.

BTDT

I have been in the industry for a very long time, and I can honestly say I have NEVER used banamine in a show calf, nor have I used an illegal drug, tranquillizer on a show calf. NEVER.  let me repeat that: NEVER.  (I have however, used banamine to reduce the fever in a month old calf with pneumonia. Used it IV, as directed)

When I attend a show, I read the rules, and follow them. Do you have a link to the complete rule book that we could read in its entirety? I would be very interested in reading it.
Again, I stress, there is no withdrawal time on banamine if given subq or IM. If the show vet did not understand that, that is an entirely different issue.

As for the youth who got DQ'd doing a lot of work and having a good steer, I am sure the other youth worked hard and had good animals also. Who is to say what youth "worked harder" and "deserved it more"?  I am willing to bet the youth who finished second think they worked as hard or harder than the first place youth. And I am willing to bet that some where down the line at the bottom of the class was a kid who did chores every morning, rinsed his calf every day, clipped his own animal, and paid for every penny of their project, so many would say they "deserved it more" than someone who placed above them that hired it all done, and showed up show day to hold the halter.

It is unfortunate the steer "got lame" right before the show. But, lots of unfortunate things happen to hard working, deserving people all the time.  Just a fact of life.  The true character of the family and the youth will be revealed on how they react to the situation.  Time will tell.