Standard sales protocol??

Help Support Steer Planet:

oakbar

I'm looking for some input!!  What is your normal procedure if someone is interested in buying cattle from you over the phone and you've never met them before?  Do you have a written agreement?  How much money do you require up front to hold an animal for a buyer from some distance away?  Do you set a time limit on when the balance of the money is due and when they take posession?  If they back out do they forfeit there up front money?  When does the animal actually become their property--for example if the animal gets sick and dies before they travel out to pick it up--who's liable??

Any input and ideas would be helpful!  In today's internet world, the geography our customer base covers has grown dramatically and these questions are probably one the minds of several others on "the Planet" as well!!

Show Heifer

The calf is for sale until I receive half of the money. Then it is sold and a time is agreed upon to either pick up the calf. The rest of the money is due upon delivery/pickup.
If they back out, the money is MINE.
If the calf gets sick, or injured, I return the money.

Delivery time depends on when they "buy" the calf.....if a baby baby (meaning 1-2 months) I usually let them have until mid/late summer. If it is summer, I give them until fall. If it is fall, they better be heading my direction!!!

SKF

We buy most of our calves over the internet or phone and most breeders require 10-25% non refundable deposit unless something happens to the calf while its in their care then it is refunded. To me I believe that the deposit should always be refundable if the calf dies or becomes injured while it is at the sellers place. We pay the rest of the money before the calf leaves their place but have had a few especially if we have purchased from them before send the calf before we paid in full and once we recieved the calf we paid in full. When we arrange shipping we purchase insurance for the shipping because once the calf leaves the sellers property it is our responsablity no longer the sellers. The majority of the breeders we have delt with have been great to deal with and we have not been disappointed. Most of the sellers have been very helpful with helping us on the shipping and any other concerns or problems.

OH Breeder

SKF said:
We buy most of our calves over the internet or phone and most breeders require 10-25% non refundable deposit unless something happens to the calf while its in their care then it is refunded. To me I believe that the deposit should always be refundable if the calf dies or becomes injured while it is at the sellers place. We pay the rest of the money before the calf leaves their place but have had a few especially if we have purchased from them before send the calf before we paid in full and once we recieved the calf we paid in full. When we arrange shipping we purchase insurance for the shipping because once the calf leaves the sellers property it is our responsablity no longer the sellers. The majority of the breeders we have delt with have been great to deal with and we have not been disappointed. Most of the sellers have been very helpful with helping us on the shipping and any other concerns or problems.

This is very helpful. I am dealing with this currently. WHen i asked for a 25% deposit the response was that is alot of money for someone I don't know. I didn't think it was too crazy. I have bought calves unseen and paid in full prior to pick up.
One gentleman that do business with waits til I get there and then cash's the check. But, we have done a couple of transactions.
Thanks for your input.

GONEWEST

Most of these early pasture sales are just like SKF mentioned. 20% now and the rest due When picked up in September. The later sales are a little bit trickier. They invoice and the total amount is due upon receipt and most are paid for before leaving. There are always a few that never get paid for.

dori36

oakbar said:
I'm looking for some input!!  What is your normal procedure if someone is interested in buying cattle from you over the phone and you've never met them before?  Do you have a written agreement?  How much money do you require up front to hold an animal for a buyer from some distance away?  Do you set a time limit on when the balance of the money is due and when they take posession?  If they back out do they forfeit there up front money?  When does the animal actually become their property--for example if the animal gets sick and dies before they travel out to pick it up--who's liable??

Any input and ideas would be helpful!  In today's internet world, the geography our customer base covers has grown dramatically and these questions are probably one the minds of several others on "the Planet" as well!!

I rarely sell terminal cattle so my protocol may be just a little different than if I was selling a calf for short term.  i require a non-refundable down payment - amount somewhat dependent on the sale price.  If I sell a $10,000 fullblood cow, I'll need at least 20% to hold her.  Like others responding, the deposit is usually not refundable.  Otoh, I do try to be reasonable and respond to unusual, devestating circumstances that may not let the buyer complete the transaction.  The animal doesn't leave my place until it's paid for and a buying contract clearly stating when the balalnce is due is part of the sale process.  I cover all health/travel papers required and also will supply results of Johnes and BVD tests at buyer's request.  All appropriate vaccinations, ear tattoos, and reg. certificates are also included.  If it's a bull calf purchased for breeding duties, and he tests poorly in the Spring of his yearling year for fertility, I require the buyer to make a decision on his outcome.  If they decide they don't want him, they have to take him to market, let me know what they get for him, and I refund the balalnce of what they got at market and what they  paid for him.  If, heaven forbid, the animal dies at my place (or is irreparably injured) before the buyer takes delivery, I refund the deposit.  I also have found that today, with shipping so costly, sometime the animal is on my place for a much longer period of time than in the past as the buyer tries to find a suitable shipper.  After a reasonable time (whatever that may be  (lol)), I charge for maintenance.  BTW, I also email lots and lots of pics from all angles at the first inquiry.

Latest posts