Stangs13

Help Support Steer Planet:

Simmimom

Just wanted to say good luck in Fort Worth.  Also, have you bred your KSSR heifer yet?  If so, to what.  We are trying to figure out what to do with our flush mate, and I was curious about what you decided to do and what you considered.  For everyone else, I obviously don't know how to do pm.  But welcome other suggestions.

stangs13

Thank you very much!! This heifer looks fantastic, I hope we will have a picture for everyone after Ft. Worth..She will give everyone a run for their money..I will be getting her bred as soon as we get back from Fort Worth. I am looking at In Dew Time sexed semen for now. I just talked to Brian a few days ago, and he told me to stick with sim bulls, as the simangus market around here just isnt there. I will talk to him up in FW about it some more when we both can sit around a pick this heifer apart( there is hard to find a hole in this one) and really pick a bull for her. I will talk to him about yours as well. Are you all not going to haul up there?? How did she do at Brazoria? Do you have any recent pictures? That would help us select a bull as well. Thanks again for the luck! The pm deal is to the right of your name in the upper left hand corner.

Simmimom

Can't go to Ft. Worth because it conflicts with the her high school musical.  I sent some recent pictures to Brian recently, and those were names that were tossed around.  I'll try to post the pictures on here later.  I will also say that my neighbor decided to breed all of his simmentals with angus this year because there seems to be a demand in the commercial market ... or at least more so for that than Simbrah which is what he had been doing.  At Brazoria she was Reserve Breed to a beautiful heifer bred by Tim Smith.  (I think he went on to win the overall divison drive too).

stangs13

Simmimom said:
Can't go to Ft. Worth because it conflicts with the her high school musical.  I sent some recent pictures to Brian recently, and those were names that were tossed around.  I'll try to post the pictures on here later.  I will also say that my neighbor decided to breed all of his simmentals with angus this year because there seems to be a demand in the commercial market ... or at least more so for that than Simbrah which is what he had been doing.  At Brazoria she was Reserve Breed to a beautiful heifer bred by Tim Smith.  (I think he went on to win the overall divison drive too).

Thats awesome!! I wish we could have brought her out to brazoria, but she got way sick. The smiths breed good heifers.  I would like to see her if you get a chance! Has she grown any hair? My heifer is SHAGGY. IF you get a chance one year, yall should hit up Ft. Worth.. its a great experience.

Simmimom

Okay, I'm attempting to post pictures.  Sorry if I didn't do it right.  Does she look like your heifer?  I think yours is a few months older (ours is a Jan. 09).  These were just casual (not blown or clipped) and heading out to pasture for the night.  She had attitude too.  We've started using the neck sweat in prep for the majors which is definately cleaning up her neck.

Attachments

• IMG_2010_Compressed.JPG
    IMG_2010_Compressed.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2011_Compressed.JPG
    IMG_2011_Compressed.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2012_Compressed.JPG
    IMG_2012_Compressed.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2013_Compressed.JPG
    IMG_2013_Compressed.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 135

stangs13

Shes coming along nicely!!! She does look a lot like my heifer. My heifer has more hair it seems, but shes under constant fans, and im hair paranoid.. How easy is she feeding?? My heifer was greener than a gourd when we bought her and until recently she didnt get the spring she needed to have to get to the next level..I can assure you shes there now. How heavy is she now? I wouldnt be worried about her front end, its pretty clean, and when shes clipped she will clean way up.

Simmimom

She's under a couple of fans and misters during the day, but she had a horrible clip job in October(bald!!!). Her hair seems to be coming back pretty well. She eats well (basically cleans up) and is weighing 1,000# as of the end of December.  We don't want to get her so fat that if affects fertility.  I think we are going to breed her between SA and Houston.  I couldn't get it coordinated to get her to Brian by 9 in the morning to do it before Ft. Worth

stangs13

Shes at a great weight then!!! Ours was about the same at that time of age, maybe a bit heavier..about 1100.  Our heifer seems to be a little bit taller framed. What happen to the clip job? I remember a kid bought a heifer from brian a few years back at our barn and he had our past ag teacher clip it..she has never clipped a calf in her life, and she shaved the back of the animal completely bald.. it was a sad site.

Simmimom

Pretty much same kind of deal.  The FFA hired someone to fly in from Lubbock to clip.  Trying to be supportive ( and they said he "was good") we decided to go that route.  Anyway, in the 15 minutes it took to run to the restroom and back they had "clipped" both of our simmentals.  Bare skin, blood even in some spots.  To say I was upset is putting it mildly.  On other heifers, that had been waiting a long time, the animals had laid down and they didn't even give the owners a chance to blow the sand out.  I don't know what portion the FFA paid (I heard it was substantial) but I certainly didn't even get my money's worth.  Someone else helped repair her for the open show.  It has never taken less than an hour to rough cut one of them before.

stangs13

Wow, thats horrible. I have been taught enough from the guy that does our heifers for us how to clip them, so if I really need to I can get it done, but he normally comes out and does it for us when it gets close to show time.