Star Power calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

vet tech

I have posted this same question in the past but didn't get many replys so I will try it again. Has anyone seen or had any SP calves? what are they like?

SSIMMENTALS

I have seen one, really nice lines and choke fronted, there just wasn't enough to her, she was frailer boned, tighter ribbed, and narrow. She lacked the mass and performance to stand out in my mind, but certainly was very clean made and neat. Personally, I think the cow just didn't have enough power and mass for this bull and that he will throw the look into some more stout and rugged females who need cleaning up, but this is all judging on one calf at two months of age ;)

bjs

I believe DJ Salution will be the answer to the new purebred Simmi bulls out there.  He has Meyer 734 and Black Max on his dams side and is a complete outcross to all of the Dream On genetics which I would estimate to make up a third of the simmi breed.  Just my opinion.

Jenny

Have heard that Solution does not have the bone and ruggedness;
the answer is sposed to be Amazon...we will findi out; we used him this summer!

BIGTEX

If you are going to use Star Power, you might as well use Dream On, he is much more consistant and proven.

GLZ

BIGTEX said:
If you are going to use Star Power, you might as well use Dream On, he is much more consistant and proven.

Agree completely.  I have seen a few Star Power calves, and none of them wowed me by any means.  I still prefer Dream On even with the saturation of calves from him out there.  If you are going to use him, avoid him on heifers, it doesn't look like the BW is very accurate.  He has thrown some big ones.

jeffb1

We feel we'll have a good test in late august/early sept on a cow that has produced some good ones for us. She's a PB Simme 838B out of a Janssen(SP) bred female bred to Star Power. Our cow produced the bull calf champ at our State Fair three or four years ago and we plan to show his full brother by Powerline in Sept. at our State Fair again. We'll let you know how he does and what the cow does! JB