starting an operation...

Help Support Steer Planet:

katie_k

What really goes into starting a beef operation (both breeding stock and feeders)? What would be some advice for a girl who's considering wanting to start this as a lifestyle? Also what would you recommend as a way to get on your feet once you graduate? I'm planning on getting a degree in large animal science and want to own a cattle business.  Any advice?

JSchroeder

Getting rich doing something else and then buying land, inheriting land, or marrying into a family that has a lot of land is one of the most important first steps.

Warrior10

Jeff_Schroeder said:
Getting rich doing something else and then buying land, inheriting land, or marrying into a family that has a lot of land is one of the most important first steps.
Agreed. In today's world it is hard to start from scratch. Just try your best and see how it goes.

kfacres

wait about 5 years when the economy and cattle market are predicted to crash... now is not the time to buy land, cattle, or anything else involved... 

start small a few and see how you like it...

like has been said-- it's virtually impossible to begin in today's day in age from start... I'm 24- and have got plenty of inheritance coming that gears me right towards livestock and grain production-= yet i don't know I'll be able to make ends meet for several years.. 

katie_k

This is where I have the issue. I have no ag based people in my family I'm the black sheep.  I would have to do it all without inheritence

firesweepranch

Shorthorn Girl said:
This is where I have the issue. I have no ag based people in my family I'm the black sheep.  I would have to do it all without inheritence

We are doing it, but we are much older! Slow and steady wins the race. Have big dreams but make sure you are living in reality. We started in 2007, bought acreage, and started with 2 heifers. We are now up to about 20 females, with our biggest calf crop coming in the next 45 days... all of 7 calves due  ;D. If all goes well, we will have 9 in the fall.
Get through school, and work hard at it. Two incomes are better than one, you have more buying power. But a little at a time, we just got out chute this year. We were able to do everything with a grooming chute until recently when we purchase some cows that were not halter broke, thus we needed somewhere to AI or put embryos in.

AAOK

Shorthorn Girl said:
What really goes into starting a beef operation (both breeding stock and feeders)? What would be some advice for a girl who's considering wanting to start this as a lifestyle? Also what would you recommend as a way to get on your feet once you graduate? I'm planning on getting a degree in large animal science and want to own a cattle business.  Any advice?

Take Baby Steps.  Don't leap!  After you get your degree, go to Vet School for your Large annimal preference, get a job(with the option to buy in) at a well known and respected large animal clinic.  A few years down the road, when you know all the major producers, you can partner with one of them for your Hobby Show Calf Business.

MCC

Sorry to change the subject but was curious how you did with the steer you showed last year.

ruhtram

Shorthorn Girl said:

The first step is to never give up! Have faith and stay positive and with that the right people will come into your life!!

leanbeef

Hey...I'm glad to hear there are people out there who didn't grow up on a farm who are even interested in doing it! I did, and I've been around cattle all my life. I have a degree in animal science (and a masters in ruminant nutrition), and I ended up going back to school later on to earn another degree in graphic design. I've always been interested in art and design, but I did what I thought I was supposed to do first instead of what I think I was REALLY supposed to do...

I do love the cattle, though, and I can't imagine my life without being involved in cattle. My dad and I have a herd together now, and I also manage another farm for a doctor who we met as a customer. And I do art and freelance design work in addition. Do what you love and follow your own path. Enjoy school and meet people. You will be surprised how many doors will open because of relationships and the network of people around you...people with the same kinds of interests and passion in their world. If you haven't chosen a school, look for a program that will put you on a path you want to be on, and then do what it takes to go there and be active in activities on campus. Judging teams were probably some of my favorite and most rewarding activities, and I trained and participated on any of them I could work into my schedule. Internships or work study programs are all good...you travel, you meet people, and you learn things that will help you down the road. And don't get in a hurry. Give yourself time and enjoy the journey. There's no big rush. Plus you never know what path you'll run by before you noticed the fork you should have taken.

Good luck.

kfacres

leanbeef said:
Hey...I'm glad to hear there are people out there who didn't grow up on a farm who are even interested in doing it! I did, and I've been around cattle all my life. I have a degree in animal science (and a masters in ruminant nutrition), and I ended up going back to school later on to earn another degree in graphic design. I've always been interested in art and design, but I did what I thought I was supposed to do first instead of what I think I was REALLY supposed to do...

I do love the cattle, though, and I can't imagine my life without being involved in cattle. My dad and I have a herd together now, and I also manage another farm for a doctor who we met as a customer. And I do art and freelance design work in addition. Do what you love and follow your own path. Enjoy school and meet people. You will be surprised how many doors will open because of relationships and the network of people around you...people with the same kinds of interests and passion in their world. If you haven't chosen a school, look for a program that will put you on a path you want to be on, and then do what it takes to go there and be active in activities on campus. Judging teams were probably some of my favorite and most rewarding activities, and I trained and participated on any of them I could work into my schedule. Internships or work study programs are all good...you travel, you meet people, and you learn things that will help you down the road. And don't get in a hurry. Give yourself time and enjoy the journey. There's no big rush. Plus you never know what path you'll run by before you noticed the fork you should have taken.

Good luck.

that is one thing, I wish I would have done when in school.. Art comes natural to me-- mom went to college on an art scholarship-- and has taught art for over 20 years.. but her idea of art-- and my idea of art.. are a little different...  She's art appreciation-- I'm art graphically...  

another thing I wish I would have done- is some photography classes.. I think that would have paid off...

leanbeef

Cut the BS said:
leanbeef said:

Good luck.

that is one thing, I wish I would have done when in school.. Art comes natural to me-- mom went to college on an art scholarship-- and has taught art for over 20 years.. but her idea of art-- and my idea of art.. are a little different...  She's art appreciation-- I'm art graphically...  

another thing I wish I would have done- is some photography classes.. I think that would have paid off...

Dude, what are you?...Like 24? Don't feel like it's too late to change courses. Or to reach out in a new direction. I was about to graduate with a degree in animal science when it occurred to me that may I could have been an architect...I had never even thought about that, and I felt so disappointed that I hadn't given myself just the opportunity to consider doing that. A couple years later, I went to grad school thinking I would want to teach college level some day maybe. I never thought about anything else because I already had four years invested in one degree...I thought my only option was to build on that and that I was too old and too far along to back up or start over. I was 24. I ended up in sales and knew that wasn't where I belonged. Long story short...it's never too late. My advice is to pursue your passion and to find the thing you love to do. What we do is way too much a part of who we become. Any education is valuable...it's one of the few things in life nobody can ever take away from you. And even if you don't think it will be a building block for the next step you take, it will be. There are very few people I know of who have the background and personal interest in livestock that I have who are also trained as an artist or a designer. It sounds like a stretch to a lot of people, but there are also a lot of people who can appreciate the unique perspectives I have because of that diverse combination of interests. I say go for it.

kfacres

I know.. the thought is there...  I never said I wasn't going to do it...  Just wished I would have done it while I was in school--  you know, when life was easy, and it was all getting paid for... (pop)

farmin female

Jeff_Schroeder said:

Amen to that!  (clapping)

farmin female

If you really want to pursue this, do it now.  Don't wait because time does fly.  Start small but always look at opportunities that present themselves.  Jump on some of them.  I would not recomend waiting for any length of time if you are looking at buying land.  Farm land costs will not be coming down.  They will continue to climb.  I'm not saying go out and put your name on a contract for 20,000 acres, but if you find 5 or 10 acres at a good price now, buy it!  Then buy a heifer or two.  Just keep moving forward.

Raising cattle is one of the best jobs/careers/lifestyes in the world.

kfacres

farmin female said:
  Farm land costs will not be coming down.  They will continue to climb.  Raising cattle is one of the best jobs/careers/lifestyes in the world.

yes they willl, by no means will farmers, ranchers, or anyone else be able to sustain a profit paying 10-20,000 an acre for cornbelt property.  They may continue to rise for the next 2-5 years- but that will be it...  Honestly< I see the same with beef, pork, lamb, etc...  Everything except deer hunting-- but if people go broke-- so will it..

In my lifetime (I'm 24), I predict that land will crash-- and that will be the time I buy property...  I'm saving up...

Honestly, I predict a recession, or even depression that's big and will hit home.. Once the American $ falls, and some other country buys us out- who knows what will happen.