starting creep too early?

Help Support Steer Planet:

WFCC

is there any way a guy could get in trouble by starting creep too early?  By starting creep will the calves eat more grain and less milk from the cow?

cowcrazy

We start putting feed and hay in the creep area at about 1 month old.  By the time the calves are about 3 months, they are eating pretty well.  I think it makes it easier to wean them, because they are already eating.  They still miss their momma and will baw for a day or two, but they never go off feed.  As far as the momma goes, it does not affect their milk production.  My experience shows that the calves still prefer milk to feed.

aj

Lord forgive but I was thinking about creeping. Has anyone tried the non-grain cellulose based protein based pellets?

lowann

We never feed ours creep feed till they are three months old. They can have all the grass hay they want.
Ours just get too big if we start too soon. We have some heavy milking cows.
Our calves do just fine this way.

AAOK

WFCC said:
is there any way a guy could get in trouble by starting creep too early?  By starting creep will the calves eat more grain and less milk from the cow?

If you plan to make Show Calves out of them, you can't start creep feeding too early!

lowann

AAOK said:
WFCC said:

If you plan to make Show Calves out of them, you can't start creep feeding too early!

That might be true, in most cases. We did very well last year selling one steer to Wade Rogers, and one to Matt Lautner doing what we do, starting creep at three months. If we would have started sooner, they just would have gotten too big.

kanshow

If you wait too long to start creep feeding, my experience has been that the calves aren't as apt to go into a creep feeder.