Steel Force (simmie)

Help Support Steer Planet:

GLZ

Why is there so much hype over this sire?  Is this a case of marketing?  No semen, high price to get interest up.  Starts producing again, they reduce the price and sell the crap out of it.

simmi1

I was wondering what he was out of and where I could by semen from and how much it is.

GLZ

He is yet another Dream On son.  He sold for $15,500 at Sunset View Farms sale last February.

The rumor was that he had trouble producing semen, so there is none on the market.  You can find it but it is $300 + a straw.

knabe

StillLearning said:
Is this a case of marketing? 

what is the most successful bull without marketing?

scratch that, what business concepts are the best ones without marketing.

P-F

He resold last fall for somewhere around 50,000 to griswold and ratcliff (I think)
They pulled him off the market and are using him in herd only
Ratcliff is an angus deal and I heard they were going to AI over 1000 cows to him

I am not sure if my facts are right but these are some of the rumors I have herd

chambero

Ratcliff is a pretty darn good commercial Angus ranch in OK that I'm somewhat familiar with.

They are marketing the bull similar to what they did with Irish Whiskey in the early days.  They sold semen on him at the Exposure sale.  No more will be released till next year.

shorthorns r us

i don't mean that to be bad toward griswold.  he has had great success so people will tend to emulate what he does.

chambero

I'm surprised people will spend that much money on semen on a bull nobody has really seen calves out of.  Although their real objective may not be to sell semen initially but to just create a buzz.  In all honesty, they really haven't marketed a dud yet at those prices.  I suspect they know something on him. 

Folks want a good TH, PHA free bull, they are throwing one out there for consideration.

Again, I don't like to judge bulls off pictures, but he does take a good one without a ton of hair. 

Also, some people that really do own a good bull want to control the market on who has calves so they can get more for the calves.  A very good but small Charolais breeder down here does the same thing.  He has some darned good bulls, but your going to have to spend a grand or better with him to get semen - he doesn't sell them a few at a time.  On a current bull you've got to spend $2500 for 100 straws.  He won't release smaller amounts. 

If I owned a really good one, I'd probably want more than average also. 

Jill

chambero said:
I'm surprised people will spend that much money on semen on a bull nobody has really seen calves out of.   

I would think that Griswold's name being one of the owners would have as much pull as anything else, not much Griswold has been associated with has gone sour, I would say he is a pretty good judge of cattle.

CAB

Ran into John & Christy Collins in Denver, Christy said that the pic wasn't retouched. I still couldn't see spending that kind of money on a unproven sire. He's what has gotten buzz started on Star Power also. 3/4 sibs. Same thing for me there, not enough info for all the buzz although he's way more reasonably priced. IMO

kanshow

I still haven't heard much about Star Power calves.  Shouldn't there be some this spring? 

CAB

According to what I was told, after the Exposure & Embryos on the Snow sale no more semen would be sold this year. The prices that I heard were $285 to $325 per straw. I don't know what the minimum amount of straws were.