Steer #1 is now at our house

Help Support Steer Planet:

kvhranch

We got our first steer for 2011 fair this weekend and he's now home.  Have to say I'm very impressed with this boy already.  Put the halter on him in the squeeze shut yesterday morning, then spent about 8 hours in the horse trailer gonig home.  Got home and we lead / herded him into the stall.  Sniffed around, nibbled on hay, even came and took a drink of water right by where we were standing.  Last year's steer was blowing snot and trying to head butt us through the fence when we first got him.  So to me this is a good sign.  Then when we walked away, he laid down to rest.

We wanted to get the steer from my dad at Thanksgiving time instead of the first of February so we could maybe have a little easier time breaking him to lead.  Last year, our steer was 750lbs at mid February weigh in.  As long as the scales aren't too far off, yesterday this boy weighed in at 800lbs.  Born the about the same time as the last guy.  On the one hand, we don't have to stress as much hopefully on making weight, but on the other hand there goes the idea of being able to start with a 500lb calf to break to lead.  So wish us luck.

I've attached a picture.  Not the best one but hopefully will get a better one soon.  Should go pick up calf #2 sometime this week.

Attachments

• Brick.JPG
    Brick.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 184

kvhranch

Wow - he looks horrible in this picture.  He's very square and correct in real life.  Have to get a better pciture.

firesweepranch

We picked up our steer Wednesday, and HIGHLY recommend this method of halter breaking: http://www.24-7agtv.com/Joomla/index.php?option=com_seyret&Itemid=1&task=videodirectlink&id=54 
It is called Be A Champ halter breaking, and we started it on our wild steer this weekend (gave him a few days to settle down - who wants to halter break a 600 pound steer on a full tummy of turkey and pumpkin pie!). He was walking with us in just 45 minutes! We will see how he does today, but we were able to just walk up to him and put the halter on him after following him around for several minutes. Now, mind you, my daughter has been in the pen with him almost daily since Wednesday when we got him, but not haltering or anything other than trying to get a brush on him. But, he is in a 24 x 24 pipe pen, and we cut it in half and used that to get closer to him. The easiest I have ever had halter breaking an animal that has had no contact. We used to leave a halter on them and let them drag it for days/weeks until we felt comfortable enough to walk up and take it off/put it on. Not this time  <party>