Attachments

• IMG-20111219-00066.jpg
    IMG-20111219-00066.jpg
    581.2 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG-20111217-00030.jpg
    IMG-20111217-00030.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 488

Davidsonranch

it's funny you brought this up.  We have ran into the same problem.  My kids solution was to go back to traditional human names.  Like this year we have "Richard", "Kevin" and "Rodger".  I also live in old school Irish sheep and cattle country.  My father in law has a old brand registration book that has some of the old ranchers names.  Three that caught my attention were:
Finus, aka "Fine"
Vestus, aka "Vest"
Con
Millis
Schubal aka "Schub" pronounced Shoob

vc

I have named them after old frontiersmen, Boone, Bridger, Crockett, Bowie, Lewis and Clark, Annie Oakley, Chissim, there are tons of them. There names people remember just not used allot.
Usually, we just watch and wait, they end up finding a name for them self.

ruhtram

I named my steer "balzak" one year after the dog in the movie van wilder (lol) I've grown up a lil now though!

dcbehle

My son likes to use something based on the sire(s) and use a catchy name with it.

Last year he had a My Turn calf and named it Turner and his other calf Hootch.

This year he has a Walks Alone calf and named his steer Walker. His other calf is T.R. - as in Texas Ranger.

Past years calves also fit the mold: Hairy (Hairy Bear), Paddy (Paddy O'Malley), Jimmy (Jimmy The Greek)

Regardless, have something fun that the kids like.

OH Breeder

Are they both heifers? We have used vegetables and Flowers- Pumpkin, Rose, Ginger, Orchid....we have also used bugs- Cricket, Lady Bug etc.I do not name the steers. The kids do. I have only ever named a couple steers- Wingnut and Gus.  I like to stay close to heritage ie sire and dam. Sometimes the "barn name" isn't close to their registered name. The Two original cows I purchased were Blanche and Rose.(Golden Girls)

mainegirl

I use names of characters from my favorite movies. My first show heifer is "Maggie" for Steel Magnolias and base my calves from her off of that movie. I have an "Iggie" from Fried Green Tomatoes. And I have a bull named "Something to Talk About" so I'll name calves from him based on that movie.

mark tenenbaum

Just make sure that you dont get anyone mad by naming an animal after a local person. Being from a red neck area up the road from you in Virginia:years ago I named a pig after a real tough big girl with mile high hair and queastionable virtues-I got whooped good by her O0 (lol)