steer behavior question

Help Support Steer Planet:

milkmaid56

my steer has a really heavy head... and when he walks he keeps his nose to the ground and will not put his head up.  im not very strong and i do my best trying to lug his big head up but its getting to the point where its really frustrating.  when hes standing and im scratchin him with the stick he holds his head high and looks really good... i want that same look but while walking... any suggestions?

garybob

The kind, gentle approach works best for those kind of cattle. If you get too ''tough love'' on him, he will rebel against you. Get him to trust you and enjoy your company.

red

Milkmaid, what I do is tie them with their head up for a couple of hours a day. That way they get used to holding it up without much struggling. I'm like you, I have a hard time with my arms keeping the head up so I find this really works well!
Also as GaryBob said, keep a gentle touch & that works wonders.

Red

cowz

Ditto on the tying up their heads!  Only don't go too far away for very long when you do this at first.  After you have done this, make sure you ALWAYs lead them with their head all the way up.  This way they think it is the normal thing to do.  Also practice leading around the pen with a show halter, just do not make a habit of jerking the chain.  None of us like to have our 'chains pulled"! HA  Good luck

red

Good point Cowz! Our daughter had the most irritating habit of yanking the chain on the show halters. It was a habit that we kept trying to get her to break.
I liked to cover the chain w/ vet tape to. It seems to not make that noise & was gentler on their chins.

Red

milkmaid56

ive been tying him up for two hours a day and hes now weighs 1150... it wasnt such a problem when he was little! hes a very gentle steer just very stubborn and im hoping hes going to finally get it... i hope so hes to good of a steer to walk around with his head down :)  thanks for the replies everyone.

ShortyJ13

I had alot of trouble with mine at first with wanting to keep her head down. No matter WHAT I did she would keep it down, but I have been tieing her up high whenever I can and she has improved alot. For a while I wanted to tugg on the chain alot of the time too  but it didn't really do much good for me...it seems she always stretched her neck out instead of up so it made her look very un-comfortable in the ring.... Also I found that if I made some sort of constant noise like clicking my tounge or "Shhh" she would keep her head up as well

showcattlegal

I had a steer like that tieing his head up worked for a lil while, but he was so stubbern he wouldn't do it when you wanted to. I got one of the show leads with barbwire in the chain. I used it once and never had too again.

DLD

My son is small for his age, and started out really young, too, so sometimes keeping a lazy ones head up was a real chore for him. This seems to help for both standing still and holding the head up walking, but your calf needs to be pretty well broke and fairly calm before you try it. Tie a rope with a ring on the end to something overhead, but kinda out in the open - a sturdy tree limb, a brace over the top of a (open) gate, or set your fan cage up out in the open and secure it with a couple of t-posts. Run the calfs halter through the ring and tie it in a loose slip knot at the height you want the calf to hold it's head, then the kid needs to stand there and hold it, too. The idea is for the overhead rope to hold the weight of the calf's head, but since it's not up against a fence or something like that, the calf thinks the kid is holding it up. We usually set the calf up, but some of the time just let them stand, always with a hand on the lead rope, though. Do it at least 20 minutes at a time, at least once a day - preferably twice. We really started doing this to try to teach them to stand still for him, but have noticed that it sure makes them better about holding their heads up, too...

justme

OK don't everyone laugh here...My daughters heifer wouldn't keep her head of walking either.  She's a whopping 68 pounds so Iknew I had to do something.  I started "playing" with the heifer a little.  When she would walk, I'd itch under her head and neck.  She loves it.  Even moans when I scratch her there.  Now she's wanting it done so she stretches her head up for Danielle to itch her.  It worked for us.  I know it sounds silly, but sometimes silly people need to do silly things lol