Steer Exhibitors at Ft. Worth

Help Support Steer Planet:

ZNT

To all of you steer exhibitors that came to Ft. Worth, please be extra careful traveling around the Metroplex the next couple of days.  The overpasses and mix-masters can be disasterous for anyone trying to use them in ice storms (even with 4 wheel drive).  If history holds true, there will be well over 1000 traffic accidents in the next 48 hours in Dallas-Ft. Worth.

Good luck to everyone in the show, and hope everyone stays safe!

chambero

They opened the barns up early yesterday to let steers in.  Kudos to the officials for doing that.  We're socked in this morning 100 miles to the NW

mrs sawboss

My boys left with the ag teacher at about 11:00 last night.  Got to FW about 3:00 this morning.  Received a call from them at 5:40 this morning and there was an inch of snow on the ground and oldest son said it looked like a blizzard.  Husband left at 10:30 this morning to try and get up there to be with them.  As of noon they were still waiting in line to get in the barn.  I was planning on leaving tomorrow afternoon but am unsure if I will get up there if this weather holds.  Tomorrow in Ft. Worth temp is predicted to be high of 19 low of 9.  Between the Super Bowl and this weather...looks like it is going to be the steer show from HELL!  (or maybe I should say ANTARCTICA!)

Bulldaddy

You also have to contend with all the yankees coming down for the Superbowl.  At  least they know how to drive on the ice and snow.  Will be there Thrusday to see one of my steers show.  Hope everyone stays safe.

frostback

mrs sawboss said:
My boys left with the ag teacher at about 11:00 last night.  Got to FW about 3:00 this morning.  Received a call from them at 5:40 this morning and there was an inch of snow on the ground and oldest son said it looked like a blizzard.  Husband left at 10:30 this morning to try and get up there to be with them.  As of noon they were still waiting in line to get in the barn.  I was planning on leaving tomorrow afternoon but am unsure if I will get up there if this weather holds.  Tomorrow in Ft. Worth temp is predicted to be high of 19 low of 9.  Between the Super Bowl and this weather...looks like it is going to be the steer show from HELL!  (or maybe I should say ANTARCTICA!)

I am not making light of the situation,,, but found the comment about a inch of snow and it being a blizzard comical. (lol)  I have only been in one ice storm in SD once and that was enough. Everyone stay safe. Slow and steady and get there is better than fast and in a ditch.

sjc

Steer show from Antartica.hahaha you Americans are getting a little soft!

Man if you only knew what winter was really all about. Just so we have conversions right Ill do it for you.

+19 F = -7 Celcius
+9 F = -12 Celcius
That would be a nice day up here this time of year

Ill take that any day. This morning in St. Paul, Alberta Canada it was -36 Celcius. So you know thats -32.8 F. Oh yeah and there was a stiff breeze from the east at 10 mph so it felt a little cooler then that.

thebulllady

lol... yes, but you live in CANADA, we're talking about TEXAS!  We showed open last weekend and it was in the 70's!

nobody

thebulllady said:
lol... yes, but you live in CANADA, we're talking about TEXAS!  We showed open last weekend and it was in the 70's!
I know right....it was 60 at 5 am this morning now its 19. Crazy!!!

PaFFA Proud

Possum Trot Ranch said:
You also have to contend with all the yankees coming down for the Superbowl.  At  least they know how to drive on the ice and snow.  Will be there Thrusday to see one of my steers show.  Hope everyone stays safe.

Lol not all yankees can drive well in snow....u should see some I know that have lived here their entire life either never go out till spring or hav an accident every year...or even better drive 5 mph. I am orginally from S.C. and both my mom and I have NEVER had an accident no or afraid of driving in it...just like any other road conditios you have t be smart about it. But good luck to everyone and be safe. Hauling trailers with cattle in snow and ice is never fun!

shakes

Yea its going to be cold, only in South Texas where it can be 83 F one day and the next be 23 F.

CAB

About 2000 accidents reported in Omaha yesterday am. The ice was smooth as glass. When vehicles couldn't make the hills they would slide back down to the bottom. We've had approximately 5/6 inches of snow today on top of  a thin layer of ice. The wind is gusting up to 50 miles/hour. Wind chills in the -25/-30 area. SW Iowa & I think that SE Iowa is getting quite a bit more snow. Stay safe & warm.

mrs sawboss

frostback said:
mrs sawboss said:

I am not making light of the situation,,, but found the comment about a inch of snow and it being a blizzard comical. (lol)  I have only been in one ice storm in SD once and that was enough. Everyone stay safe. Slow and steady and get there is better than fast and in a ditch.
You gotta understand...we are from East Texas.  An inch of snow does seem like a blizzard to my kids!  LOL!  They probably haven't seen snow but half-a-dozen times in their lives!  Compare today's weather to yesterdays...my boys couldn't get their steers to dry because the calves were sweating so much and the humidity level was so high.  Talk about a drastic change in weather!

frostback

mrs sawboss said:
frostback said:
mrs sawboss said:

You gotta understand...we are from East Texas.  An inch of snow does seem like a blizzard to my kids!  LOL!  They probably haven't seen snow but half-a-dozen times in their lives!  Compare today's weather to yesterdays...my boys couldn't get their steers to dry because the calves were sweating so much and the humidity level was so high.  Talk about a drastic change in weather!

I do get what you are saying but growing up in Canada,well,,,, lets just say thanks for the laugh.

chambero

Us Texans are sissies when it comes to frozen stuff.  But to clarify Fort Worth had a few inches of ice with snow on top of that.  Our highway crews dont have the equipment to get rid of it.

ZNT

chambero said:
Us Texans are sissies when it comes to frozen stuff.  But to clarify Fort Worth had a few inches of ice with snow on top of that.  Our highway crews dont have the equipment to get rid of it.

Things are just not designed in Texas for this kind of weather.  There is very little equipment to remove snow and ice, the highways consist of huge mix-masters that are either impossible to go up, or even worse, come down without crashing.  Even our plumbing is not made for this.  Our well house is completely above ground with just some sheets of tin around it.  Our water pipes are only 6-12" under ground, and very few frost-proof hydrants are used around here.  The northerns need to just think about if it was over 100 degrees for 30 days straight, and how well they are set up for that.

By the way, thank you for not bringing your steer to Ft. Worth.  My ears and toes thank you.

DCC show cattle

Headed up thursday with an exhibitor and gettin ready to fit for a friends company up there Ill be sure to let yall know before we leave im loading up with 15 bags of mineral in the bed of my truck and coverin it with a tarp. The mineral can get wet and not spoil and will help with traction be safe guys!

Latest posts