Steer Feed

Help Support Steer Planet:

CM Cattle

Here is a special mix feed i have been feeding my show steers, and was wandering if there is anything I should change. I am thinking about taking some the gluten out, but I'm not sure. Most of you have been showing a lot longer than me and have a lot more experience with this, so I'm open to all suggestions.
600 pounds Corn
550 pounds Gluten
315 pounds Soybean Hulls
150 pounds Distillers Grain
150 pounds Soybean Meal
90 pounds Molasses
75 pounds Cotton Seed Hulls
70 pounds Oats

traveling bull

Don't know when your fair is, but being cold out a heavier corn mixture would be better. There are several articles on the web about feeding gluten to cattle. Seems like you are doubling up on it and the distilled grain as well as the soybean hulls and soybean meal. Gluten has very little calcium in it and they recommend when feeding a high concentration of it you should add lime in the mix. The neighbor had 2 steers that got water belly because of it. If you have decent hay you really don't need the soybean hulls in you mix. we have used this mix the past couple of years and have pretty good luck with it.
1200lbs cracked corn
200lbs of fanned oats
250lbs barley
80lbs of cottenseed hulls
150lbs  38% suppliment
30lbs linseed pellets
100lbs of wet molasses
Free choice of good grass hay
Free choice of a quallity mineral
I was a dealer for Hackman Feed for awhile and Their finisher had 1200lbs of corn per ton and dveloper was 800lbs of corn and more oats and barley.

CMB

You could afford to loose some corn gluten. I would also advise a calcium mineral pack with any corn gluten or distillers. We've fed up to 500 per ton to our feedlot cattle but never the show calves. It'll get em fat. Our finish ration last year had 125#'s per ton. We feed about the same amount of soyhull pellets. You've got plenty, more than I would use of barley. I'd up the corn, oats, and cottonseed hulls. JMO