Steer has Excessive Gas and the Runs

Help Support Steer Planet:

Barry Farms

One of my show steers (not the one with the attitude problems) has had diarrhea and a lot of gas for the past 2 weeks. I don't if he had it before then (I don't get to work with them daily) but I first noticed it then. I'm afraid this will slow down his growth not to mention it is so hard to get him clean. When he passes gas he grunts like he is in pain. I do not think he is having any diet changes.
Is it just the stress of being worked with?  I think not because he has been fairly broke since November.
What could cause this, change of temperature from outside to barn basement (10 degrees F) in the morning?
He has also had warts really bad and I was there when the vet pinched them off. Maybe he is nervous of me now?

5PCC

Are there bubbles in his manure? Does it stack up at all? Is his left side bloated? Give him all the grass hay he can eat (free access) to stimulate his rumen. Give him a Tablespoon of baking powder for the gas. Do not give him good quality hay like alfalfa.

I feed mine based on their manure. If they are loose, I add more fiber like hay and beet pulp. If they are more firm, I back off of the beet pulp. But they always have free choice grass hay to stimulate their gut.

5PCC

I know that limited hay is the popular opinion, but I disagree. My steers are getting close. Our county fair is in July. They have had free choice hay since February. They were weighed yesterday, and figured out to a daily gain of 3.2 and 3.4. That's just what we do. I know others hold off on the hay. I guess it's just which side of the fence you fall on. My parents ran a sale barn and my step-dad was a cattle buyer up until the day he died. This is what my experiences have taught me. But like I said, I know plenty of people who disagree with me on the issue. But I also know some who agree with me. Please feel free to take my advice or leave it. Someone else may have something better to offer you than I do.

GoWyo

We feed free choice hay from weaning until their last day here.  However, this time of year it does get a little tougher getting them to eat to finish the final 30-60 days.  Lately they come out of the cooler, practice showmanship and then go to a little pen with the feed bunk and water and do not get turned out until they finish their grain or have 45 minutes with grain in front of them.  In the morning after they have been on hay all night, they seem to be eating fine.  We do not feed any beet pulp or other fillers though.

HavinABlast

Wouldn't hurt to have your vet run a fecal analysis on him just to rule out any parasites of any sort or bacterial overgrowth.  Baking soda with his grain is a good idea.

CAB

The grunting symptom indicates that there is something that needs to be addressed by a vet IMO.

jcedvm

I would recommend having your local veterinarian come out and take a look.  The grunting when passing gas is going to be indicative of a possible bigger issue.  I would add in Probios as mentioned earlier.  You can get the powder form and top dress his feed or use the paste if he's not eating well.  Have a fecal check performed by your vet.  If he's gotten coccidia or parasites that will need addressed asap.  If his rumen pH has become imbalanced you'll have to get that back to the proper level which should coincide with a reduction in the amount of diarrhea and gas passed.