Steer high protein feed??

Help Support Steer Planet:

Texasfilly79

Stupid question - why do I not see show feed that is higher than 15% protein?

Is it a stiffness issue?

Reason I ask - my kids steer is a great converter - 7 scoops of grower x2 a day and he does back to back 50 pound gain weeks sometimes.

Problem is he becomes to fat  or rolly poly (surprise right??) and need to build muscle. 

Is it possible up the  protein % to build the muscle on top of walking every day??

Opinions please.

Tallcool1

Ok, 7 scoops of grower twice per day.  I am not a scoop counting guy, but if my memory is correct, a scoop is 4 pounds.  That is 56 pounds of grower per day.

Or are you feeding him half of that 7 scoops at each feeding? 

What does this steer weigh? 

I need more information in order to help you.

Texasfilly79

Tallcool1 said:
Ok, 7 scoops of grower twice per day.  I am not a scoop counting guy, but if my memory is correct, a scoop is 4 pounds.  That is 56 pounds of grower per day.

Steer weighs 940 - target show is San Antonio /Houston
I was feeding total of 14 scoops per day.  When we bought him we started off at 4 and if he cleaned his bowl up we would continue to add till he would start leaving it.

That’s our mistake I know - he has been put on a diet to lose weight 4 scoops per day with 24 access to hay and grass.

He’s a Business done right x Charlois cross. 

Goal is to put more muscle on - if we increase protein % to 18 will that cause issues for a long term plan?

looking4champions

Either this thread is a joke, or the scoop must be the same size of the plastic scoop you get for free in a box of laundry detergent..... :-\

Tallcool1

Texasfilly79 said:
Tallcool1 said:

You are WAY WAY overfeeding that steer.  3% of his body weight max.  That is about 30 pounds per day. 

Dump the whole "scoop thing", and tell me how much feed he is getting per day in POUNDS.  Get a scale and weigh his feed.  They are cheap.

I am going to bail on this thread because something is just not right here.  I am going to end up giving you some really bad advice because I am not understanding what you are trying to do.

Steer weighs 940 - target show is San Antonio /Houston
I was feeding total of 14 scoops per day.  When we bought him we started off at 4 and if he cleaned his bowl up we would continue to add till he would start leaving it.

That’s our mistake I know - he has been put on a diet to lose weight 4 scoops per day with 24 access to hay and grass.

He’s a Business done right x Charlois cross. 

Goal is to put more muscle on - if we increase protein % to 18 will that cause issues for a long term plan?

DLD

“Scoop” means nothing if you don’t weigh it.  Even if everyone’s scoop holds the same volume, the same volume of different feeds will weigh differently. Spend a few bucks on a hanging scale, weigh your feed, then get back to us.

Cattle are like kids, they won’t grow at the same rate all of their lives.  You’ll have growth spurts and you’ll have periods where gain flattens out.  Absolutely you do need to weigh your steers regularly and be conscious of where they are in relation to their projected end point, BUT, don’t get so fixated on a certain end weight that you don’t get them finished correctly.  And remember that there a lot of factors that can affect a single weigh. Don’t make drastic changes based on a weekly weight, look at it over a longer period of time.

You’re talking about San Antonio Or Houston - no matter what your steer weighs, the same number from every class (at least within your breed) will make the sale.  Make sure he’s right for his weight.  940 today is not necessarily way too heavy for those shows.