steer not gaining

Help Support Steer Planet:

KSanburg

A few years ago we had a steer that didn't want to gain and started searching for a solution. We tried several things and had little results with any of them, but one day my sister was visiting and mentioned that we should try acidophilous, which is what they use in yogurt and is really nothing more than bacteria created in the process of warming the milk in the production process. Well for what ever reason it worked and we got the steer going again, was it the cure or just happenstance? I don't know but it is fairly inexpensive and you can get it in a powder form at your local health food store or at you vet clinic. Full name is; Lactobacillus acidophilus

Hope it helps and good luck!

Sassy2899

Mtnman the reason that worked is because the yeast that is used in yogurt is the exact same thing as the microbes in the rumen in cattle.  It is just a cheaper version of the probiotic paste.

KSanburg

We had used all types and kinds of probiotics with no success, I am sure you are right but what would be the difference?

simba

Mtnman said:
A few years ago we had a steer that didn't want to gain and started searching for a solution. We tried several things and had little results with any of them, but one day my sister was visiting and mentioned that we should try acidophilous, which is what they use in yogurt and is really nothing more than bacteria created in the process of warming the milk in the production process. Well for what ever reason it worked and we got the steer going again, was it the cure or just happenstance? I don't know but it is fairly inexpensive and you can get it in a powder form at your local health food store or at you vet clinic. Full name is; Lactobacillus acidophilus

How much did you feed per animal per day? And did you just mix it into their feed? This might be just what my steer needs, thanks!

KSanburg

Larissa said:
Mtnman said:

How much did you feed per animal per day? And did you just mix it into their feed? This might be just what my steer needs, thanks!

If I remember right we top dressed with 4 oz. each feeding.