Steer not walking

Help Support Steer Planet:

sam_atha08

Hey, so I’ve had my steer since early November. He’s been completely halter broken and walked amazing until this week. Every time I’ve tried walking him down a certain road he refuses, and he tries to jump. However I need to get him down this road because there is a hill and since he’s Charolias I need to gain butt muscle. I was wondering if you guys might know anything and how I can fix this?

GoWyo

Hey, so I’ve had my steer since early November. He’s been completely halter broken and walked amazing until this week. Every time I’ve tried walking him down a certain road he refuses, and he tries to jump. However I need to get him down this road because there is a hill and since he’s Charolias I need to gain butt muscle. I was wondering if you guys might know anything and how I can fix this?
He is getting heavier and the road may hurt his feet. Try a different route?

TexasRedsAndShorties

Hey, so I’ve had my steer since early November. He’s been completely halter broken and walked amazing until this week. Every time I’ve tried walking him down a certain road he refuses, and he tries to jump. However I need to get him down this road because there is a hill and since he’s Charolias I need to gain butt muscle. I was wondering if you guys might know anything and how I can fix
As for walking a hard thing to learn (it really was for me) is that pressure and release 100% works you just have to be really really patient so I’d recommend the pressure and release to keep him on track with his walking as for his jumping he could be getting spooked it’s important to not let him go if he tries running you need to talk to him and give him some pets to calm him down also desensitize him while you have him tied take some hay string and tie it to a stick and rub it all over him sling it around even gently kind of throw it all over him so he won’t be so jumpy give him scratches as your doing this to let him know it’s fine talk to him while you work with him if he ever gives you and fuss like trying to lower his head or Butt you or something put him on the halter and give the halter a nice firm series of jerks hope this helps you out!

Jive Turkey

As for walking a hard thing to learn (it really was for me) is that pressure and release 100% works you just have to be really really patient so I’d recommend the pressure and release to keep him on track with his walking as for his jumping he could be getting spooked it’s important to not let him go if he tries running you need to talk to him and give him some pets to calm him down also desensitize him while you have him tied take some hay string and tie it to a stick and rub it all over him sling it around even gently kind of throw it all over him so he won’t be so jumpy give him scratches as your doing this to let him know it’s fine talk to him while you work with him if he ever gives you and fuss like trying to lower his head or Butt you or something put him on the halter and give the halter a nice firm series of jerks hope this helps you out!
Very much like horsemanship.(y)(y)(y)