Steer opinions please.

Help Support Steer Planet:

cutieputie0093

I am raising this steer for our annual school district livestock show that shows on Feb. 3. We had a lottery draw for our calves. I was 37th to pick out of 44. When I got him he wieghed 755 lbs  now he  is weighing 1325 lbs as of December 29. Let me know what you think  ;D

Attachments

• Photo036.jpg
    Photo036.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 230

Blue25

Not a bad steer, he is kinda stretched out in the picture though.  He has a lot of muscle to him.

Earthmover

Nice calf, if he were mine I'd switch to a Barley base feed to smooth out the back fat. Pour it to him and go in about 1380. Good liuck

cutieputie0093

Earthmover said:
Nice calf, if he were mine I'd switch to a Barley base feed to smooth out the back fat. Pour it to him and go in about 1380. Good liuck
I'm putting 4 1/2 parts barley and 4 parts steam rolled corn to his 12 lbs of feed bi-daily. I'm increasing my barley and corn by 1/2 a part every week. Plus I am feeding SureChamp vitaferm along with all that.

clubcalve

He has come a long way great job!! Keep working hard and have fun

showqueen95

Well i just want to tell that u have done a AWESOME job because he has gotten so much better! (thumbsup) Great job!!

cutieputie0093

showqueen95 said:
Well i just want to tell that u have done a AWESOME job because he has gotten so much better! (thumbsup) Great job!!
Thank you!!! I have really been working hard with him! When I got him I knew it was going to be a lot of work since he has structure problems but I have learned to "show that out of him". I will let you know how I do at the show come Feb.  ;D

katie_k

i like his size. and he just has a very powerful look about him.  personally i like the strech because it means more loins, but thats probably the market side in me comming out.  he has nice thick shoulders but maybe a little break before his hips.  i looked at the past post and he has made huge strides and i comend you for taking the ambition to work so hard.

cutieputie0093

Shorthorn Girl said:
i like his size. and he just has a very powerful look about him.  personally i like the strech because it means more loins, but thats probably the market side in me comming out.  he has nice thick shoulders but maybe a little break before his hips.  i looked at the past post and he has made huge strides and i comend you for taking the ambition to work so hard.
Thank you!!  :) His back isn't that straight but I try to fix that with the show stick. Also I am going to put some more fat on his top line to give him a fresher and cleaner top.

Ag Man

37th out of 44!!!!  You must have had some good calves to pick from because he is a nice calf.  He would do well in many county fairs in Kansas...

cutieputie0093

Ag Man said:
37th out of 44!!!!  You must have had some good calves to pick from because he is a nice calf.  He would do well in many county fairs in Kansas...
Actually we don't. There is just a handful of steers that look like show steer the rest look like feed lot calves. Mine looked like a skinny feed lot calf when I got him but after a few months of pouring the feed to him he started to fill out and look like a show steer.  Most of them have structure problems such as being super tall and having straight hocks.. luckily mine does not have those problems.  <cowboy>

cutieputie0093

<party> i want to just get up and do a dance right now lol. I've worked so hard with him and I am so glad that people can tell!