Steer Pic- best way to set up??

Help Support Steer Planet:

idahoag

This is my daughters steer for fair this year.  Not the most structually correct steer but it's what we have.  With his hip and back, what would you say is the best way to set him up: scissored or square.  He is a pain for her to set up and he won't spread his back legs apart.  He acts like he has a dress on and crosses his legs
or puts them very close together most of the time.

Attachments

• 2012-08-03_15-37-18_334.jpg
    2012-08-03_15-37-18_334.jpg
    870.8 KB · Views: 408
  • 2012-08-03_15-41-29_646.jpg
    2012-08-03_15-41-29_646.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 754

knabe

he is what he is.  some monopoly's i've seen have no inner and outer thickness but are wide and making them stand wide accentuates that.

personally i would be more worried about bellying him up and loining him down.

nice looking corn?.  no drought?  i can smell the money.

Gargan

he looks better in the 2nd pic, but he needs his back feet switched. The judge will be on the opposite side of u when he is on the profile. have the foot closest to the judge back further the the back foot on ur side is. gl

idahoag

knabe said:
he is what he is.  some monopoly's i've seen have no inner and outer thickness but are wide and making them stand wide accentuates that.

personally i would be more worried about bellying him up and loining him down.

nice looking corn?.  no drought?  i can smell the money.

Ha!  Yes, nice looking corn, no drought.  However, I contracted half of my corn a while ago before the price change ($100 a ton ago!)

idahoag

rasor club calves said:
You r stretching him out a little. If anything pull his legs maybe in a little more than usual. And push his back down with the showstick

I agree.  He likes to stand like a stud or gelding pissing!  Thanks

leanbeef

Regardless of whether an animal has structural issues or not or what those issues are, cattle profile better with the hind feet "scissored" as u called it. The main reason is it adds flank, depth & volume and it shifts more weight to the rear half of the animal because it fills in air space created by hiding the far rear leg behind the one on the near side. Look at professional photos & breed publications and count how many cattle are posed with feet square on all four corners... None.

easttex

leanbeef said:
Regardless of whether an animal has structural issues or not or what those issues are, cattle profile better with the hind feet "scissored" as u called it. The main reason is it adds flank, depth & volume and it shifts more weight to the rear half of the animal because it fills in air space created by hiding the far rear leg behind the one on the near side. Look at professional photos & breed publications and count how many cattle are posed with feet square on all four corners... None.

I agree with leanbeef, but would also add to make you loin him down. That will help a lot. JMO