Steer pics(opinions appreciated)

Help Support Steer Planet:

This is a pic of my steer.He is out of a bull called Bar Ba Rosa and a meyer cow.Tell me what ya think

Attachments

• 00.JPG
    00.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 637
  • 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 635

Clubcalfshowgirl

I think hes going to be a nice steer, i love his markings i want one all marked up like tha!!

NewMexicoShowChick said:
This is a pic of my steer.He is out of a bull called Bar Ba Rosa and a meyer cow.Tell me what ya think

garybob

Order buyers in the Ozarks would call him a Holstein, steal him, and, go back to the coffee shop.

shortyjock89

Good thing New Mexico isn't anywhere near the Ozarks, I think he'll be safe from those nasty order buyers where he is.  He looks pretty cool if you ask me.

Thanks for all the comments. My ag teacher is really impressed with this one. I'll try to get a profile and behind shot tomarrow an post it up.Thanks again.

showcattlegal

I like your steer too. I to love white on him. Are you going to take him to state fair(I'm From NM to) if you do i think he would make a good simmy steer. Good luck, i wish I could still show steers insted of heifers and bulls.

Show Dad

NMSC - I do like this steer. But you have to look at him awhile to see thru the pattern. Which can work well for you. IMHO, with a patterned steer, try to keep the white from coming up onto the body and out of the flank area. It is where the pattern can hurt you. It takes away from his depth (visually). So it can go either way on the outside stuff.

I would also suggest that you start early with the hoof trimming on this one. I think you can go places with this one so don't stress the joints because of over grown hooves. :D

garybob

shortyjock89 said:
Good thing New Mexico isn't anywhere near the Ozarks, I think he'll be safe from those nasty order buyers where he is.  He looks pretty cool if you ask me.
Never said he wasn't a good 'un. Just was commenting on the "rate of Progress" in the Agricultural Community in Fescue'n Bermuda Grass Country. Seriously, a group of similiar-marked calves could out-perform solid-colored cattle, by about half a pound ADG& a whole pound better on Conversion, and these numbskulls wouldn't change anything, until change is FORCED upon them.

I probably shouldn't have gotten so mad at Nick Hammett, for saying i was from a "backward and uneducated part of the world", but, I was tired of people in the industry trying to sell me thier cull bull prospects with twisted scrotums ( cryptorchid problem? you betcha we have one), just 'cause they thought I was from Arkansas, and, therefore, didn't know anything about Breeding Cattle.

shortyjock89

garybob said:
shortyjock89 said:
Never said he wasn't a good 'un. Just was commenting on the "rate of Progress" in the Agricultural Community in Fescue'n Bermuda Grass Country. Seriously, a group of similiar-marked calves could out-perform solid-colored cattle, by about half a pound ADG& a whole pound better on Conversion, and these numbskulls wouldn't change anything, until change is FORCED upon them.

I probably shouldn't have gotten so mad at Nick Hammett, for saying i was from a "backward and uneducated part of the world", but, I was tired of people in the industry trying to sell me thier cull bull prospects with twisted scrotums ( cryptorchid problem? you betcha we have one), just 'cause they thought I was from Arkansas, and, therefore, didn't know anything about Breeding Cattle.

Hey GB, I think that I might have worded that a little wrong. I was just joking about the cattle traders, I wasn't trying to say anything negative about what  you're doin.  I don't know that I wouldn't have gotten angry with Mr. Hammett too if he said that about where I'm from, but since Daddy Don Cagwin is from central IL too, I doubt that will be said any time soon. 

garybob

shortyjock89 said:
garybob said:
shortyjock89 said:

Hey GB, I think that I might have worded that a little wrong. I was just joking about the cattle traders, I wasn't trying to say anything negative about what  you're doin.  I don't know that I wouldn't have gotten angry with Mr. Hammett too if he said that about where I'm from, but since Daddy Don Cagwin is from central IL too, I doubt that will be said any time soon. 
'89,

Did you mke the Dean's List? Relax, man, didn't get offended by anything. Really, I truly like the steer. He's a real attention- getter.
Kinda threw the Cryptorchid thing out there as a bait for future discussions. Like usual, nobody bit the hook. Did anyone at the Association-level push for the Collection of Scrotal data, with an accompanying Blood Sample for a future DNA test?

Cattlemen like Me, surrounded by those resistant to change, can't do anything, until youngsters like you, closer to the epicenter of change, get the ball rolling. I'm surrounded by idiots. It's up to you younger guys in the Midwest, Plains, and InterMountain West. Those of  Us in The Ozarks, Appalachia, and the Gulf Coast Areas, kinda  are forced to wait on changes. Kind of a ''trickle-down" effect.

GB

AAOK

I don't know the basis for most of the comments.  The two pictures posted only give a good view of your steer from the front.  He looks a little too straight; not enough point in his shoulder.  I say he will have a hard time walking as a Market Steer, and may even blow out in the shoulders.  He has good hair, and very adequate bone.  From what little I can see, he's also good and square in his hip.  Good luck!  I hope I'm fooled by the pictures.

here are a few more pics from the rear a side.I hope they work a little better.

Attachments

• 2007steer 013.jpg
    2007steer 013.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 299
  • 2007steer 017.jpg
    2007steer 017.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 299

showsteerdlux

He doesn't disappoint when viewed from the back. He does look like he points out in both back and front which goes along with what some people were saying about structural problems later on. Hopefully its just the way he is standing in the picture. Overall a very stylish calf that looks like he should have a good future showing If you don't mind me asking how old is he, when do you show him, and what weight is desired in your area for finished weight, etc..