steer questions

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Dad

Jill - I agree with the assesment of how to make money at the auctions at fairs. I also agree that it makes more sense to butch the steer and fill the freezer. I just didn't want the young man to think that the amount of money he spent would neccessarilly get him a better show calf. Not saying it wouldn't help but as you say it will take luck. No matter how much he pays.  He just needs to get the choosing criteria down.

itk

Show Dad said:
It is sad when you have to buy a steer at above market price and then still can't compete!   I would like to know at what price it takes to compete then?!?!?   $1200 for a red ribbon, $2500 for blue, $4000 for reserve and $7500 for Grand!

My advice SRL (FWIW); buy a steer at market price maybe plus $.05/lbs. to help the breeder with the hassle. Pick one based on sound criteria. Don't worry about the ribbon color. Shoot for getting a better carcass (CAB or Prime) and more money when they go to packerland. I would listen to the judges comments but would pay much more attention to what the packer was telling me about the carcass.

Of course if it is a ribbon you're chasing then the answer to the above question should point you in the right direction.

I think they need to be aware of the economics of their county fair. The champion steer at our county fair is going to bring $2,000 tops and add another $900 in live weight that doesn't leave much wiggle room for profit. Now I could budget in losing money on a calf and go for the glory of winning. But living in the same county as one of the country's premiere club calf breeders still makes it hard to guarantee I would win no matter how good of calf I thought I had or how much money I spent. Instead I have found a cheaper steer with a world of potential and we might be able to pull the upset. But, if not I would be comfortable standing second to one of the really good steers in the state knowing that we were competitive and in the end my son will make alittle money. I think we can all agree that 90% of the time there is a corelation between the amount of money spent on a calf and how good it is. I would rather spend $900 on a steer stand second to a $7,500 dollar steer and make alittle money then win with a $7,500 steer and lose a bunch of money. These are all things that strawroanlova needs to weigh out and in the end I'm sure the right choice will be made.

TottenClubCalves

I've showed at are county fair for over four years now are average price for hogs is around 4.00 dollars a pound are average steer is around 2.75 with the grand and reserve going for anywhere between 5-9 dollars a pound. People at are fair don't really go for the meat they go to support the kids. for the past 4 years the man he wants to get a steer from has either had grand or reserve steer and they all have been between 800-1400 dollars depending on the club calve sales up north every year they fluctuate. The little roan calve that he has is a decent market calve but my main concern is whether it will finish properly and have enough muscling. he has the extra money to get the better steer and believe it or not theres only about 5-6 kids that get steers from this man every year and theres only three that actually take care of them other than feeding them such as washing and grooming. Either way he's gonna make profit whether he has a 900 dollar steer or 1200 dollar steer. thi syear i got a steer from the same guy Mr. Chattin for 1200 I had about another1000 in feed and got 3.50 a pound and he weighed 1416. he was not fat at all he had .66 backfat and graded choice minus. he won his class but was a little heavy for grand or reserve.

AAOK

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
are 1        (är)  Pronunciation Key 
v.  Second person singular and plural and first and third person plural present indicative of be.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
be        bi; unstressed bi, bɪ - Show Spelled Pronunciation[bee; unstressed bee, bi] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb and auxiliary verb, present singular 1st person am, 2nd are or (Archaic ) art, 3rd is, present plural are; past singular 1st person was, 2nd were or (Archaic ) wast or wert, 3rd was, past plural were; present subjunctive be; past subjunctive singular 1st person were, 2nd were or (Archaic ) wert, 3rd were; past subjunctive plural were; past participle been; present participle be•ing.

our        aʊər, ˈaʊ ər; unstressed ɑr - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ouuh r, ou-er; unstressed ahr] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–pronoun
(a form of the possessive case of we used as an attributive adjective): Our team is going to win. Do you mind our going on ahead?

OH Breeder

AAOK said:
are 1         (är)  Pronunciation Key 
v.   Second person singular and plural and first and third person plural present indicative of be.

be         bi; unstressed bi, bɪ - Show Spelled Pronunciation[bee; unstressed bee, bi] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb and auxiliary verb, present singular 1st person am, 2nd are or (Archaic ) art, 3rd is, present plural are; past singular 1st person was, 2nd were or (Archaic ) wast or wert, 3rd was, past plural were; present subjunctive be; past subjunctive singular 1st person were, 2nd were or (Archaic ) wert, 3rd were; past subjunctive plural were; past participle been; present participle be•ing.

our         aʊər, ˈaʊ ər; unstressed ɑr - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ouuh r, ou-er; unstressed ahr] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–pronoun
(a form of the possessive case of we used as an attributive adjective): Our team is going to win. Do you mind our going on ahead?

OK. ....What ???

strawroanlova

OH Breeder said:
AAOK said:
are 1         (är)  Pronunciation Key 
v.   Second person singular and plural and first and third person plural present indicative of be.

be         bi; unstressed bi, bɪ - Show Spelled Pronunciation[bee; unstressed bee, bi] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb and auxiliary verb, present singular 1st person am, 2nd are or (Archaic ) art, 3rd is, present plural are; past singular 1st person was, 2nd were or (Archaic ) wast or wert, 3rd was, past plural were; present subjunctive be; past subjunctive singular 1st person were, 2nd were or (Archaic ) wert, 3rd were; past subjunctive plural were; past participle been; present participle be•ing.

our         aʊər, ˈaʊ ər; unstressed ɑr - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ouuh r, ou-er; unstressed ahr] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–pronoun

OK. ....What ???
ive got the same question as oh breeder,what are you trying to sya aaok ???

shorthorns r us

AAOK said:
are 1         (är)  Pronunciation Key 
v.   Second person singular and plural and first and third person plural present indicative of be.

be         bi; unstressed bi, bɪ - Show Spelled Pronunciation[bee; unstressed bee, bi] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb and auxiliary verb, present singular 1st person am, 2nd are or (Archaic ) art, 3rd is, present plural are; past singular 1st person was, 2nd were or (Archaic ) wast or wert, 3rd was, past plural were; present subjunctive be; past subjunctive singular 1st person were, 2nd were or (Archaic ) wert, 3rd were; past subjunctive plural were; past participle been; present participle be•ing. 

this part is 7th grade english.  it is the conjugation of the infinitive 'to be'.

didn't like then and it gives me a headache now.

Rocky Hill Simmental

TottenClubCalves said:
I've showed at are county fair for over four years now are average price for hogs is around 4.00 dollars a pound are average steer is around 2.75 with the grand and reserve going for anywhere between 5-9 dollars a pound. People at are fair don't really go for the meat they go to support the kids. for the past 4 years the man he wants to get a steer from has either had grand or reserve steer and they all have been between 800-1400 dollars depending on the club calve sales up north every year they fluctuate. The little roan calve that he has is a decent market calve but my main concern is whether it will finish properly and have enough muscling. he has the extra money to get the better steer and believe it or not theres only about 5-6 kids that get steers from this man every year and theres only three that actually take care of them other than feeding them such as washing and grooming. Either way he's gonna make profit whether he has a 900 dollar steer or 1200 dollar steer. thi syear i got a steer from the same guy Mr. Chattin for 1200 I had about another1000 in feed and got 3.50 a pound and he weighed 1416. he was not fat at all he had .66 backfat and graded choice minus. he won his class but was a little heavy for grand or reserve.

That sounds really good that you get that price for the animals in your area. At my district fair sale (in my county we don't have a county fair), even though it comes off taxes, it's hard to get people to bid on your animal unless you've been doing business with them. My steer got sold to the guy I buy feed from for $1.10, which was probably around or a little lower than the average of the steer sale. I think the top was 1.90 (because he was gc, reserve brought 1.00) and the low was 0.90 (which was floor price, so he actually brought nothing if he was resold). But after resale and shipping and everything, I cleared $1,007 on my 1,135 lb show steer - all done though the fair. They say it's supposed to teach kids how the livestock industry works... It taught me to only show heifers from now on.  ;)

Hogs here ranged from around 1.00-4.00 per lb and the floor price was around 0.30 per lb and they could sell two of them.

If show steers sell that high there, then I would suggest getting one of those steers for the next year if they have a good temperment. I'd go ahead and show this blue roan first maybe unless you can find someone who wants him for a higher price than you payed for him.

itk

TottenClubCalves said:

I am jealous now. If we could make that kind of money at our county fair oh what fun I could have buying calves. Now I say trade up to a $4,000 steer kick everyones butt and take joy in knowing that you will still make more money then my son and his $1,500 sleeper steer.

renegade

At the county fair the last two years you could expect about 1.10 to about 1.50 if you are average. If you know some people then it can get up to 3.00.

DLD

Our county bonus sale is nowhere near that good either. Strictly bonus money (you keep the steer - most go on to the OK Youth Expo with a shot at making the sale there) $1800 for grand, $1200 - $1400 for reserve, most of the others will be in the $600 - $800 range, plus add ons which is usually another $200 - $400...

I'll just say this - For a young person that puts in the time and effort, feeds right, and wants to show more than just at their local and/or county show, some extra money spent up front on a better calf is definitely money well spent. It costs just as much to feed a common one as it does a good one, and the good one sure makes it a whole lot more fun. If you're jackpotting much, the cost of buying a better one to start out with is prob'ly less than the travel expense you run up through the year, and if you're showing cattle that get along, it makes those other expenses alot easier to swallow.

But... If you can keep your $900 one and make your county sale, there's alot more profit to buy one with next year, plus put some money in savings. So I guess in this case that would be my standard - If the one you already have is a pretty safe bet to make your county sale, then you don't really need to trade up (if so then it's whether you want to or not), but if he's not, then I'd try to trade up to one that is.

Ruchian

Reading this made me like my county fair more.  Our grand champion sells for $15-25 a pound, usually closer to $25.  An average steer brings 2 or 3 dollars a pound and a lot get around $5 a pound.  One problem is that most of the time our champion goes to the someone in the same couple of families.

ROAD WARRIOR

Pretty good incentative to go find a "great one" and spend alot of time working with it I would think.

Ruchian

ROAD WARRIOR said:
Pretty good incentative to go find a "great one" and spend alot of time working with it I would think.

Yeah it is.  I wish I had more time to work my steer.  I haven't even tried to get my driver's license and my steer is a couple miles from my house so I can only work him when I can get a ride.  I don't get home from school until 4:30 and it gets dark around 5 and there aren't many lights there so its hard to work him unless I can get home early.

AAOK

strawroanlova said:
oh i got it,hes teaching me proper grammer (clapping) (lol)
(clapping) ;D (clapping) ;D (clapping) ;D (clapping) ;D (clapping) ;D (clapping)